PDA

View Full Version : Runt discus

jeff8428
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:01 AM
I have six discus that I purchased about 6 months ago. All are fine except 1 It has grown about a fifth of the others., It was a little smaller that the others 5 were about 1 1/2 inches and this one was about an inch. Now the others are about 3-4 inches and this one is only about 1 1/2 inches. It seems to eat a little ( I feed frozen bloodworms) but is really skinny compared to the others. Is it just a runt or do you think there is something wrong with it. Does anyone know of anything that could be done. Appreciate any help you could give

samir
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:12 AM
1.5 inches after 6 months ??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm surprised Bob Geldof hasn't organised a concert for it. There's nothing you can do for it. Call Bob he might get Bono to do a gig.

jeff8428
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:21 AM
How big should they be after 6 months?

ILLUSN
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:30 AM
6 months they should be atleast 4 inches body length (minus tail).

jeff8428
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:32 AM
mine are nowhere near that, maybe 2 1/2 without tail. Been feeding frozen bloodworms, any Ideas

samir
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:38 AM
Merrilyn has a recipe up for a beefheart mix, feed them that as the staple diet and interspersed with bloodworms , granules , brine shrimp

valkyrie
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:43 AM
mine are nowhere near that, maybe 2 1/2 without tail. Been feeding frozen bloodworms, any Ideas

How big is the tank they are staying in, how often do you do water changes, frequent water changes are just as important to growing large discus as food, also a variety of foods is necessary. Try some beef heart on them.

Cheers

jeff8428
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:48 AM
Have them in a 90 gallon tank alone , pleny of room Do a weekly 20% at leat if not more often

valkyrie
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 04:19 AM
IMO, if you want them to grow I would be doing a 20% water every second day at least in that size tank and feeding them 3 times a day with a wide variety of food making sure that any left over food is cleaned out of the tank daily.

I do daily WC but I have my 6 juvenile discus in a 55gal, I feed beef heart, Merrilyn's receipe, frozen blood worm, brine shrimp (frozen and live) and tetra colour bits.

Either the water quality is not right or you are not feeding enough of the write stuff as that tank is more than big enough for 6 small discus.

Hope this helps.

Cheers