PDA

View Full Version : Sick Discus, need help...

honamdhhpvn
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 10:51 PM
Hi Guys,

I have some emergency problem with my discus. I brought some new discus last week. They are about 6cm... was doing fine for the first few day.I have change the water twice. about 20% each time. ph is 6.8 and temp is about 28. for the last day or so, the discus stay in group and always stay at the top in 1 corner. Didn't want to eat anything. There is white spot on the fish and I dont think that they fight each other. The discus seem to breath rapidly and heavy. The only thing that I change was adding another heater and Prime water condition. Please help me, I new in this so please help me.

Regards

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 11:48 PM
How long has your tank been running?
Is it bare bottom or gravel or planted?
what other fish do you have in it?

if you havn't already get an airstone running in the tank. Is it possible for you to bump the temp up to 30C? try adding a tsp of salt per/40L of water, will help ease the stress on the fish, should also help slow the breathing

samir
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:05 AM
ammonia , nitrite and nitrate readings are the first things you should post in order for you to get the best possible advice.

honamdhhpvn
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:08 AM
There is gravel and 2 plants. I have some angle and some shark. The tank is running 24/7. Sorry to ask a silly question as I'm new to everything, what is "airstone running". Guys, thanks for all your help.

Regards

ILLUSN
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:25 AM
Samir is spot on!

I was asking how long your tank has been running for (days weeks monts?).

an air stone is a porus diffuser hooked up to an air pump, you should have got one when you got your tank.

I dont like putting angels with discus, i find them aggressive. how big is your tank?

honamdhhpvn
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:12 AM
The tank has been running for months, yeah I do have the air stone running and my tank is a 10 foot. I will move my angle tonight when i got home.

honamdhhpvn
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:02 AM
Go home tonight and find out 4 discus gone. It so sad. Only new ones, old ones still doing fine. I do 70% water change, lower the ph:5.8, add alot of salt and increase temp to 30. Is there anything else I need to do?

Regards

samir
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:24 AM
the old discus probably gave it something.

honamdhhpvn
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:31 AM
okies, damm the old ones.....
Is there anything else I need to do guys?

ILLUSN
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:56 AM
not really, there isn't much you can do.