PDA

View Full Version : Eheim Madness

Zimby
Fri Nov 23, 2007, 09:18 PM
Hi Guys

I must just say that this forum is amazing!!!

Now to business, i'm looking to purchase a eheim filter for a tank i am buying
6ft x 80cm x 60cm - 874 ltrs

Price is not really an option as i'd rather wait longer and get better, than rush and buy bad.

I'm tossing up between eheim 2180 and (2 x 2078)

Will the 500w heater in the 2180 be sufficient on its own? what happens when i'm cleaning the filter and theres no heater.

The reason i've included the 2078's is that i plan to remotely monitor the aquarium via digital sensors connected to a serial port on a PC.

I'm a network engineer by trade and want to intergrate electronics more with aquariums.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also who are the cheapest tanks retailers in Brisbane?

Cheers

Denis

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 23, 2007, 11:26 PM
WoW that would do it!
if the tank is indoors the 2180 should be ok, the heater in it is good for over 1000L.

when vleaning the filter will br unpluged for 15min max (these things are nice and easy to clean) 874L is not going to loose much heat in 15min (i'd be suprised if lost more the 1C after 2 hours, thats ALOT of thermal mass).

put up DIY when you sort out the computer monitoring, soonds excellent.

taksan
Fri Nov 23, 2007, 11:40 PM
Hi Guys

I must just say that this forum is amazing!!!

Now to business, i'm looking to purchase a eheim filter for a tank i am buying
6ft x 80cm x 60cm - 874 ltrs

Price is not really an option as i'd rather wait longer and get better, than rush and buy bad.

I'm tossing up between eheim 2180 and (2 x 2078)

Will the 500w heater in the 2180 be sufficient on its own? what happens when i'm cleaning the filter and theres no heater.

The reason i've included the 2078's is that i plan to remotely monitor the aquarium via digital sensors connected to a serial port on a PC.

I'm a network engineer by trade and want to intergrate electronics more with aquariums.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also who are the cheapest tanks retailers in Brisbane?

Cheers

Denis

My similar sized tanks are set up this way.

1 x 2180
1 x 2080
1 x 2217 with Chemicals and 36w UV

Depends on the stocking level of course.

At this time I cannot recommend Pro3e filters due to known issues they have with leaky seals.

Greggy
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 12:35 PM
I actually advise you to not to go with the 'electronics' and instead 'keep it simple' as usually the more complicated things are the more that can/does go wrong. When it comes to fish keeping, especially Discus, getting the basics right is far more important than convenient & fancy control and monitoring of things like water temp etc.

Now for a tank of that size I would suggest perhaps a pair of Eheim 2228 filters and a pair of conventional high quality in-tank heaters. Alternatively a single Eheim 2250 would also do a great job, a pair of them would do an even better job, but that might be overkill unless you are really going to over-stock which none of us would really advise you do. Personally on my 6x2x2 650L Discus tank I run two cannister filters (1x Eheim 2228 & 1x Aqua One 2450) as I service them at different intervals so that if I screw up I don't knock out ALL of my precious biological filtration.

I guess I just believe in redundancy alot more than I believe in electronics & high-tech monitoring/control, however I do realise its your tank and the decision is totally up to you. I'm just giving you my point of view.

BTW I am an IT Systems Engineer myself so I appreciate you wanting to go 'hi-tech' with your tank but I strongly suggest you don't.

Regards,

Greggy