PDA

View Full Version : DISCUS FRY

vlsvls
Thu Nov 22, 2007, 01:10 PM
Hi

Is it normal to start of with about 60 1 day fry discus and at about 2 week old fry discus have about 30 fry left?

Is it common to lose about 50% of your fry by about 2-3 week old?

tHANKS

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 22, 2007, 01:54 PM
thats exactly what happend to my rose red pair (from 60+ to 40 at 2 weeks), they'll get better with practice, its natural selection for the weaker ones to fall behind, keeps the stock strong.

OZFISH
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 02:31 PM
I have a nasty pair that spawn about 150 each time and after 3 - 4 weeks i am lucky to have 10 left which then seem fine. I suspect they may have gill flukes and have just started a prazi treatment so will see what happens. Maybe its a good idea to treat the parents before the next batch, ?

samir
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 11:58 PM
treat the parents with PP before breeding them.

with 3-4 week fry give them a half hour, 10mg/l pp bath and then transfer them to a new sterile tank.The deaths will stop. when fry are 3-4 weeks old, gill flukes are the same size as the gill filaments, so you can imagine how much damage they can do. flukes multiply very fast at 30 degrees. you can use prazi, every three days for a month, and you still won't get rid of them completely.

ammonia and gill flukes they cannot handle, otherwise I believe discus fry are pretty tough. If you still have problems bag a few and take them to the vet.

spotted
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 05:52 AM
Hi all,

What is PP as I just have a batch of red Melon X red Rose, at this stage it's seem like 6o fry, i wounder how many will grow out.

Cheers :roll: :cry:

ILLUSN
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:07 PM
pp is potasium permangenate KMnO4, you can get it from chemists.

OZFISH
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 03:32 AM
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

samir
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
Hi all,

What is PP as I just have a batch of red Melon X red Rose, at this stage it's seem like 6o fry, i wounder how many will grow out.

Cheers :roll: :cry:

if you do get them to grow out, could you let me know what type of fry they throw and what percentages ?