PDA

View Full Version : AGED WATER

vlsvls
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 10:17 AM
Hi

Can you guys advice me on the best way to age water for discus please?

for example how long to age the water befor adding it to the tank, you use a heater or anything in ageing water ?

Thankyou

fish_r
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 12:11 PM
i didnt used to age my water till a few mths ago and i can honestly say now aging is the goand my discus seem much happier at water change time. i age for at least 24hrs preferably 2-3 days in a 200ltr black drum. in the drum i have a 300w heater and a large airstone. i still use a little bit of prime to dechlorinate too.

ILLUSN
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 12:15 PM
I age my water for a minimum of 48 hours.
I use a heater, a canister filled with carbon and zeolite and HCL to adjust the ph of my aged water.

OZFISH
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 02:49 PM
Same as most. I age the water in 2 x 220L drums which is enough for about a 25% water change on all my discus tanks. I use a 300W heater in each tank and add 1.5 capfulls of prime and 4 - 5 heaped teaspoons of sachem discus buffer in one of the drums to get a PH of around 6 and 1 teaspoon in the other drum to get a PH of around 7. I also put a mix of about 25% R/O and 75% tap water to soften the water. I use the PH 6 water for my adults / pairs and the PH7 water for my fry / juviniles and sub adults as i believe this promotes a faster growth rate ? I currently have 74 Discus between 5cm and 16cm plus lotsa fry in 16 tanks so water change is a big job :)

Kevin.