PDA

View Full Version : u.s. versus australian power supply

gypsy3
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 10:48 AM
hi all...can anyone out there tell me, would a U.S. based power filter be able to be used here?I have an opportunity to buy a fluval fx5, 6 months old, from a friend in America for $180 landed here, an opportunity too good to pass up.Would it work here, or could i get some sort of adapter?

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 11:56 AM
you wont be able to plug a us device into an aussie power point.
australia uses 240v 50hz
US uses 120V 60hz

topline
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:13 PM
You can get a transformer 240 - 110V, but cost might make it cheaper to buy a fx5 new...

I bought a diatom filter from the states and have a transformer that runs it, but in the end would have been cheaper to buy it from a country with similar voltage to us.

Cheers
Brian

apistodiscus
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 02:02 PM
You can get a transformer 240 - 110V, but cost might make it cheaper to buy a fx5 new...

I bought a diatom filter from the states and have a transformer that runs it, but in the end would have been cheaper to buy it from a country with similar voltage to us.

Cheers
Brian

Really? I am shocked. You can get step down transformers over here for a little over 10 € delivered

tzwms
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 03:25 AM
You should be able to get one of those 'universal power adapters' that would allow you to plug US items like hair dryers into an Ausie plug.

gypsy3
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 03:34 AM
from what i've read its a lot more complicated than just getting an adaptor. thats what i thought i could do when i had the chance to buy it, but looks like you need a transformer, and a fairly pricey one at that.

Proteus
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 04:05 AM
You should be able to get one of those 'universal power adapters' that would allow you to plug US items like hair dryers into an Ausie plug.

All an adaptor does is allows different plug heads fit into a differently configured inlet.

1st issue you have is the 220-240 volts that our power system uses, then you need to modify the hertz range (decrease overall voltage from 220-240v to 110v, increase hertz value from 50hz to 60hz).

There are plenty of transformers out there, however you wont get the most out of the filter as it was built specifically for the U.S. market.

You must also factor in that if there are any issues which are a result of using such a device (power failures, electrical fires etc, etc) your home insurance is null and void as it is not an approved product for Australian use... hopefully it will never come to this, but you need to be aware of the facts.

Given that I send and recieve a lot of goods from the U.S. I think that $180 figure might not be totally correct, unless you are getting the filter for like $50 and the rest is freight... based on cube size alone no carrier would bring something in that big for less than AU$120-$140 unless it was sent via Sea mail and would take 3-4 months to get here.

apistodiscus
Thu Nov 22, 2007, 10:54 AM
I just checked the FX5 specs. At 110V it consumes 50W.
This transformer http://cgi.ebay.ie/100W-Step-Up-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-110-to-220-V_W0QQitemZ320184251910QQihZ011QQcategoryZ96942QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem will be plenty to run it in OZ

taksan
Thu Nov 22, 2007, 11:10 AM
I just checked the FX5 specs. At 110V it consumes 50W.
This transformer http://cgi.ebay.ie/100W-Step-Up-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-110-to-220-V_W0QQitemZ320184251910QQihZ011QQcategoryZ96942QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem will be plenty to run it in OZ

Thats a step UP transformer..... he needs to opposite thing.

apistodiscus
Thu Nov 22, 2007, 11:13 AM
my apologies
copied the wrong link in my last post

http://cgi.ebay.ie/100W-Step-Down-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-220-110V_W0QQitemZ320184251820QQihZ011QQcategoryZ96942 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one should do the trick

Proteus
Thu Nov 22, 2007, 11:26 AM
You would have to be nuts to plug in something like that into a 240v socket.

Step down transformers are not little devices, like the travel type gizmo in the ebay ad.... you need something that is going to provide some level of protection, unless you like the idea of an indoor BBQ

Electricity is not something to take lightly.... if these little transformers were so good why is it that you very rarely see them around.... simple... they get fried in no time and thrown out, along with whatever was plugged into it.

apistodiscus
Thu Nov 22, 2007, 11:46 AM
They only get fried if you put too much wattage on to them. This one is for 100W,i.e. double of what the filter in question uses

Proteus
Thu Nov 22, 2007, 12:07 PM
They only get fried if you put too much wattage on to them. This one is for 100W,i.e. double of what the filter in question uses

That is what it says, not worth much IMO given that I have dealt with step down transformers for years. Go to any reputable electronics store in Australia and ask for a small step down transformer the size of a plug adapter that costs $10-$20 and they will fall on the ground in fits of laughter.

A good step down transformer is half the size of a shoe box, and has an isolator built into it. It is also preferable to have the unit thermally protected with its own fuse.

You will have to pay at least AU$80 to get something even remotely safe.

i.e.

http://www.flanagan.com.au/stepdown.htm

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MF1080

Unless you use something with this approval code AS/NZS 61558, you are stark raving mad.

gypsy3
Thu Nov 22, 2007, 12:07 PM
thanks guys, but i decided to give it a miss. too risky to be worthwhile i think

ellwa
Thu Nov 22, 2007, 07:52 PM
I have a step down for my undergravel heating that i bought while I was in the US. the step down retailed at about $160 from dicksmith

fortunately, the same week I was going to buy one, one of our clients left on on a job, because he was flying back to the states and didn't want to take it with him.

don't tread lightly with power consumption, and especially don't get something that isn't fused.

e./

Bald_noggin
Thu Nov 22, 2007, 10:36 PM
My personal recommendation would be NOT to use it even with a step-down transformer.

Some are motors are built to be optimal at a frequency. ie 60Hz or 50Hz. Changing frquency can be done but for this exercise, the cost would be very prohibative.

Motors are also a inductive load and as such they have what is called a power factor correction capacitor. The value of the capacitor depends on the frequency that you are working with as the capacitor is used to keep current in phase (or pretty close to) with the voltage so you don't waste power or reflect power back into the electricity grid.

If the cap is rated for a lower voltage than one that is designed for a 240VAC system, then starting with a loud bang, you could end up with all sorts of problems with some of the worst having already been described by Proteus.

In a sense, the induction of a motor and its power factor correcting capacitor, form a circuit that is tuned to a frequency (much like tuning in a radio). Outside of that frequency it becomes ineffeicient and wastes power.

samir
Fri Nov 23, 2007, 08:02 AM
you should be able to get a second hand filter here for cheaper. a transformer will cost you around $100 and its bigger than a brick. I'm sure you can find a used one for less than $280 or a new one for around $350 :) if you look hard enough

gypsy3
Fri Nov 23, 2007, 08:31 AM
yeah, thanks samir. decided to bite the bullet and bought a new fx5, on sale for a good price. the other way just seemed too risky, might have ended up with bbq fish:)...not that there's anything wrong with that!

bridlington
Fri Nov 23, 2007, 10:31 AM
was that 180 us dollars ?

samir
Fri Nov 23, 2007, 11:05 AM
was that 180 us dollars ?

The robust, upwardly mobile, good ol Aussie dollar.

gypsy3
Fri Nov 23, 2007, 11:50 AM
nope, aussie dollars.like i said, he's a friend of mine, and as far as the postage goeshe still reckons the post would have been abour 28 aussie dollars,standard rate international, whatever that means, i didn't bother asking after deciding to give it a miss

Tommo
Fri Nov 23, 2007, 08:56 PM
Hi When It Comes To Electricity And Things Like Water ,"Why Risk It"

So You Want A Cheap Filter , You Go And Buy It , Then You Get A Cheap Step Down Tranny ... "Dick Smith Or Who Ever" Then The Tranny Sh!ts Its Self In A Month Or 2 "Who Knows", By Then Your Scratching Your Head, Going Gee That Cost Me $180 For The Filter And $50 For The Cheap Tranny,And They Are Stuffed!

Why Dont You Just Order A Eheim 2217 ASA's Price $250

All Inductive Loads "Metal Halide Lights , Fluro Lights, Motors ,They Have What They Call Start up Current Or Inrush Current Which On Motors Is 5 To 7 Times Running Current .On Start Up.

IMO I Would Not Get The Filter As For And Extra $70 On Top Of You Fx5 "Which You Have To Buy A Tranny Anyway. You Could Get An Eheim 2217.

Cheers Tommo

gypsy3
Sat Nov 24, 2007, 12:02 PM
whoa there thommo! :) as stated in an earlier thread ,i've given it a miss and bought a new one here.i'm interested in your comment on the 2217 tho....you reckon it would be big enough to make a real difference in a 6 footer?

Tommo
Sat Nov 24, 2007, 09:26 PM
LOL .. Sorry ..... Missed That Post.
:oops:

Did You Buy An FX5 ? gypsy3

I Have 1 For My 4x2x2. But I Am Also Getting A 2217 As Well ...IMO The FX5 Is Good But Not As Good As Say A Eheim 2260 .But They Cost A Few Bucks !

gypsy3
Sat Nov 24, 2007, 10:43 PM
yeah, i got an fx 5,would have liked an eheim, but can't afford it, but the fx5 combined with the aqua one 2400 should give me enough i reckon. plus there's a 2000 l powerhead as well.

Tommo
Sat Nov 24, 2007, 10:54 PM
gypsy3 Sounds Like There Will Be Enough.
How Big Is Your Tank ?
What Are You Going To Keep ?
Are You Going To Use A UV ?
Are You Keeping Plants ? Co2 Injection ?
Whats The Power Head For Just Moving Water? Or Are You Having Under Gravel ?

I Got Heckles In A Planted 4x2x2 With Co2 And So Far So Good Everything Is working Well.But I Want 2 Filters Hence Getting The 2217
1 For Just Bio Media And The Other For Mechanical/Chemical Media.

Cheers Tommo

gypsy3
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 03:30 AM
yeah, have had the fish for a few months now, just wanting to add more filtration. its a 6x2x2, 36w pondmaster uv, fairly heavily planted tank, mainly swords and anubias, got 15 discus in there of varying sizes. had 2 heckles, unfortunately lost one. idon't have co2, can't afford it, and the lighting is pretty low, about 160 w. i'm looking at getting some t5 lighting, but it too is way expensive.saw some on ebay, 1.8m x8 39w t5's, about $220 or so, but that seems way too cheap, so i don't think it would be much good.Anyone else looked at these, and if so, are they any good?the seller name is 1guppy1.

Tommo
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 04:32 AM
Hey gypsy3, I Know The Ones That You Are Talking About On Ebay ,It Will Do The Job But The Saying Goes "You Get What You Pay 4"

I Got One A 2x54w T5 "Same As The Ebay Ones" Its Ok, But My 2x54w T5 Brand Name Is Aquaforce ,That I Got From An Online Store Is Way Better And Alot More Expensive.

Post Some Pics Of The Tank :D

Cheers Tommo

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 12:42 PM
I Got One A 2x54w T5 "Same As The Ebay Ones" Its Ok, But My 2x54w T5 Brand Name Is Aquaforce ,That I Got From An Online Store Is Way Better And Alot More Expensive

Told you so :P

Tommo
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 09:11 PM
Go Away You "ILLUSN" ....Ya Cheeky Bugger ! "joke" hahahah

I Just Needed A Little Extra Wattage And Some Thing Cheap !! LOL

gypsy3 ...ILLUSN Was The Person, That Recomended To Me To Get The Aquaforce .And He Is ,Was And Still Dead Set Right ! They Are A Top Light Fitting ! As I Said I Just Needed A Little Extra Wattage, So I Bought A Cheap One "$55" It DoesDo The Job But No Where Near As Well As The Aquaforce "$200"

Cheers Tommo

Tommo
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 09:38 PM
There Is A Cheap Way As Well ILLUSN."I Think"
Well If You Are Using A Hood For The Tank,Or If You Are Able To Fix The Light Some How.

Get A 4ft 54w T5 Batten "Not Sure If They Make Them Just Yet"But They Do Have The 4Ft 28w Battens .Screw It To The Underside Of The Hood And Buy The ,Spider Parabolic Reflector @ $32.00.

What Do You Think ?

Cheers Tommo

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 10:13 PM
just having a dig Tommo.

Thats what i did with the hagen unit I bought, works a treat, if you find 2x54W battens let me know. all bunnings stock is the "super energy efficient" 2x28w (useless).

Tommo
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 10:53 PM
I Know You Are Having A Little Fun :lol:

Yeah, I Might Just Give Someone A Call And Let You Know .....

BRB

Cheers Tommo

Tommo
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 10:58 PM
They Do Make Them ! Didnt Think They Were Out Yet ! About $80 + GST "Give Or Take" I Am Told ILLUSN .

Cheers Tommo

gypsy3
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:18 AM
thanks guys. the aquaforce, can it just sit on top of the lids or does it need to be fixed to the hood?

ILLUSN
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:20 AM
mine sits on top of the lids

Tommo
Mon Nov 26, 2007, 12:24 AM
I Fixed Mine To The Hood :)

gypsy3
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 04:47 AM
COOL...AND THE REFLECTORS ARE OK? DON'T NEED TO ADD INDIVIDUAL ONES OR ANYTHING?...oops, sorry bout the caps :)

Tommo
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 05:06 AM
Hey gypsy3 The Parabolic Reflectors Are Sensational !! 2 Come With The Light Fitting

Cheers Tommo