PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Eheim 2028

enigmatic
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:28 AM
HI,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with a new fault that has started to show with my filter. I'm in the process of running up an FX5 on the tank the 2028 is attached to but need to keep it running.

The 2028 is making a lot of knocking noises usually starting around 3 AM in the morning :evil:

Priming the unit again seems to resolve the noise but it comes back again within an hour.

I've had the unit apart and cleaned the impeller and inlet/outlets to no avail.

The 2028 seems to be collecting air inside it somehow as there are a lot of bubbles ejected when I prime it again to stop the noise.

I'm lost as to how this air is getting into the filter and what else I can do to stop the noise.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 03:04 AM
Try running some vasaline on the sealing gasket (square rubber seal for the pump head and filter body).

make sure shaft and impeller are seated propperly

completly drain the filter and hoses, then try repriming.

if it still knocks you'll proably need a new impeller.

fishgeek
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 08:18 AM
i have had air suck in through small punctures in the hosing, my cat hate a period of chewing the filter hose's

as illusion suggests must be some leak to keep getting air knocking at the impellor

is the head it is pushing high? sometimes less outflow weight(so to speak) allows the trapped air to release more easily

andrew

enigmatic
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 08:29 AM
Well I think we can probably put this down to me being a goose.

In trying to work out why this issue was arising, I eventually noticed that the filter intake had come lose from it's fixing and was right next to an air stone.

Needless to say, moving the filter intake away from the air stone stopped air getting into the filter and hence the knocking noise.

Sorry for being dense and not picking this up before posting.

I've taken on board the Vaseline comment and will apply this ASAP.

Cheers,

Chris

Merrilyn
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 10:52 AM
Naaaah you're not a goose enigmatic. Bet lots of others have done the same thing.

And your experience just might help someone else out :P