PDA

View Full Version : Help, One Discus fighting with other

Nandu
Sun Nov 18, 2007, 12:55 PM
Hello All,

I recently bought 2 leapords say size about 5cm, have kept them in 1.5ft-1.5ft-1ft tank.

One on them is slightly bigger than other and continiously goes hitting the other one all the time..when i feed them he eats and continious his hitting other..

Please help me where am I going wrong and what will stop this behaviour of other..

Regards,

Nandu

dwilder
Sun Nov 18, 2007, 09:18 PM
more discus and a bigger tank

samir
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 05:26 AM
Hi Nandu, you need 4 more of the same size. If you have 6 fish @5cm you can have them in a standard 2 foot till they are 8-9 cm as long as you are doing daily water changes.
Do put some pictures up. I used to live at Pali Hill for about 10 years and at that time there were not many people keeping discus. I've heard that its taken off in Bombay, so I'd be really interested in seeing some pictures.

Nandu
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 11:27 AM
Hello Samir,

Hey good to know that you are from Bombay, now being called as Mumbai..yes it's picking up here.., you would be having wealth of knowledge with discus now...

I was very sad yesterday as I got these 2 fish and one is been continiously hammering other when given food he eats well but does not allow other to eat, now I also have 3 feet tank with Leopard 6 in number..I was planning to keep the aggresive one alone in that 1.5ft-1.5ft-1ft tank and the other was going to move with leopard. Can I do this, i was reluctant as I did not wanted to mix them now I don't have a option...

Picture can I not keep bare tank or picture is essential..one morething as you from mumbai how can the nitrate level be maintain to zero considering the fact I am from Mumbai.

Please advise

Nandu

samir
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 01:53 PM
you don't need zero nitrate. if you have already added one in with the rest then its better to just add both. they shouldn't fight in a group

kikoman
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 08:35 PM
its a who's who dominant thingy!

peppermintman
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 09:49 PM
I have a lep as awell and she is a bullie and i just got 2 new babies and she did fight and general be a bitch towards the newbies . So i removed her from the 4x2x2 tank and placed her in another tank by herself for about 2 weeks. The newbies can inspect the new tank and gain areas for themselves. So i put her back in and now she doesnt fight at all. Try this.

Nandu
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks a lot friends but I am loosing the other one...

I moved my two fishes to other tank with the group of other 6 fishes, but since then one who was aggressive has mixed with the group so no worries at that end but the other one remained in the earlier tank alone and use to remain at the top even when oxygen was full on. So I move him with the group where I intially had put the aggresive one thinking that he will get well...but I observed him ok initially but later he showed sign of sickness as use to lie flat on tank floor then move in circlr upside down...So I again transfered to the old tank now the only change I did is have put the filter at 30 degree..I hope him to get well

Thanks again, I am bit low today as in just 2 days..I might turn out to be reason for death

Samir, the 0 nitrate was for knowledge and nothing to do with current problem,...Please advise how I can acheive also correct me If I am going wrong somewhere

regards

Nandu

godprint
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 02:15 PM
i think u should just let them fight...

unless u see obvious injuries...otherwise all u know, it might jus b a friendly peck?

:|

samir
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 02:22 PM
you cant have zero nitrate, <20 will be a reasonable amount , <10 even better.

Nandu
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 11:03 AM
Hello All,

Thanks for all help and support

The fish died today morning :cry:

I some question,..

1. why does this happen, u have a set tank, all Discus in that tank are fine all are eating properly and then suddenly, u observe one fish stops eating, after some days he becomes weak..but other discus in that same tank are all in good health fighting for food and growing..

This fish becomes weaker day by day and passes away..now what could have caused this behaviour, if it was water condition would had been bad then all fishes should have fallen sick, same goes with food but no that is not the case others are perfectly alrite just this one when weak and died one day.

What do we call this sickness as befor coming to this forum I had lost one fish like this...is it some not detectible sickness and the other fishes in that tank are still at danger of catching this sickness.

2. Why does it happen that 1.5months old(thumb nail size) discus they don't grow in size but suddenly after 3rd ot 4th month they start growing, is it that they take this long to adap to the environment...

3. If we are feeding just beef heart mixture and no other food- can this also lead to danger of fish getting affected by parasite or other worms.

Please advise

Regards,

Nandu