PDA

View Full Version : breeding tank

iro11a
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 06:48 AM
Hey my pair have been laying eggs every week got the fry to 2 days free swimming a can count about 20 fry which isnt too bad considering last time i only ever got 4 free swimming,i have taken the advise of lowering the water level to get them to find the parents easier but i have noticed sometimes the fry will tend to go off into the corners alot.

I have taken the sponge filter out and put a air stone in because i read somewhere in a post its best to lower the flow of water because my sponge filter was making alot of water movement.

One question is,is it ok to run a air stone in there and if so for how long because i thought i would get a bacteria bloom by doing this i have only just put on air stone on then.

Any help would be great or ideas cheers

jon

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:40 AM
put the sponge back in!
the flow from your air stone is exactly the same as the flow from your sponge filter if they are driven by the same air pump. your sponge will help keep the nh3/nh4 no2 at bay inbetween your DAILY water changes.

fry like to wonder, they'll find mum and dad again when they're hungry, your tank is proably a little big, a 2x1.5x1.5 half full of water would have made it easier for them to find the parents.

btw Dad looks like a VERY nice turk

iro11a
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks mate at this stage only got about 15 fry only a few on the parents and the rest are swimming around all over the place.3 footer is all i got.:(

Just wish there was room for more tanks :lol:

valkyrie
Sun Nov 18, 2007, 10:12 AM
Try putting a divider in the tank to reduce the area that the fry and parents can swim in. Less likely to get lost.

Cheers

iro11a
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 08:18 AM
I just removed the male because he was loosing interest and attacking the female and she seems to be doing a better job most of the fry to go to mum every now and then and go for a free swim on there own i tried offering them a little bit a brine and liqiud fry food but i'm unsure if they are eating it or not