PDA

View Full Version : WTB cheep filter for 900L koi tank

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 05:06 AM
As per title, bought myself a couple of 900L ponds for the fish room, first thing first is too off load some giant koi.
The ponds will be used to display the fish, for pick up so i'm looking for something with around 2500-3000L flow rate and at least an 8L filter capacity.
if anyone has an old fliter lying around that they want to move on (or lease out for a couple of months) give me a call on 0413680501 after 6pm.
Thanks Everyone.
Jothy

Rod
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 06:15 AM
I'd buy a pond pump and install a big pond sponge on the intake.....works as a mechanical and biological filter

Tommo
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 06:50 AM
Koi ? ILLUSN ............... You Lucky Bugger !!!!! "We Can't Have Them Down Here :cry: "
Cheers Tommo

taksan
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 08:58 AM
http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/filters/plo1000.php?link=152

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks guys.

Koi ? ILLUSN ............... You Lucky Bugger !!!!! "We Can't Have Them Down Here "

Tommo i got a 40000L swimming pool full of them, mother in law has decided she wahts her pool back, now I've gotta re home 80+ fish :x

Taksan, I've been looking at that exact laguna filter a bit, one thing i cant work out. is the filter preasurised? will it overflow if the pump is in the pond and the filter sits on the ground below the water level?

taksan
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:57 AM
its got to sit above water level

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 11:12 AM
thats what i thought.
thanks mate

Ben
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 11:55 AM
you could make one yourself. use one of those 60L containers fill it with media and have water pumped through the top with an outlet at the bottom running back into the pond. There should be plenty of beer money left after doing a DIY filter to sit back and watch the koi!

Speaking of koi its stupid that us victorians cant have them, well not legally anyway!

show us some pics of the pond when you get a chance! I will post a pic of my pond filled with bristlenose catfish soon.

MangoR34
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:05 PM
Just wondering...you have giant koi in 900l ponds?

Normal filters you just buy isnt good enough...unless you buy a Nexus or similar DIY. Also, you say you got koi...they for sale? Would be interested since the next koi show is coming up next year!

Mango

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:18 PM
thanks Ben, i'm looking into a diy filter now I've got a spare 7000L/h pump sitting idle.

Mango, the Koi are in a 40000L swimming pool and have been for 3 years. my mother in law has decided she would like her pool back, Dad and I cant seem to talk her out of it.
the 900L ponds are just for display and pick up as mum also does not want "strangers" ( read crazy fish people) comming to her house.

Koi will be for sale one i've sorted out the culls (wtf am i going to feed a cull koi to?) and see which ones are worth moving on.

I'll post them up for sale here first if no one wants them i'll send them to all the LFS in the area.

MangoR34
Fri Nov 16, 2007, 02:19 AM
Culls as in baby fish? or garden quality fish?

Please let me know when you got koi ready for sale ;)

Cheers
Mango!