PDA

View Full Version : Discus Body Builder!

Tariq
Wed Nov 14, 2007, 05:47 PM
hey everyone,

I am abit interested in trying to get bigger healthier discus faster. And I know there are some foods that can help like beefheart mix. However, what food can I get for them that is store bought and easily dispensable like my tetra bits? I found a shrimp pellet, is that good?

ILLUSN
Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:31 PM
breeders blend flake works a treat, my fry are thriving on this stuff and it doesn't turn them orange like colorbits.

Tariq
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:06 PM
I have never seen that brand in Trinidad, is there any other?

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:23 PM
dont think so a local guy here in australia makes the stuff.

mistakes r crucial
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 01:44 PM
Hi Tariq,

I'm the guy Illusn was talking about, we make Breeders Blend. It's probably not cost effective to post the food to you so try and get two things, Spirulina and NatuRose. Spirulina is excellent for colour and growth and NatuRose is the best thing I've come across in many years. It is a very powerful antioxidant, it will naturally colour your fish and help improve breeding, overall health and growth. If you are unable to find those locally send me a PM and I will see what I can do to help you.
MAC

Tariq
Wed Nov 21, 2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks, will look around for them!

Tariq
Tue Nov 27, 2007, 04:54 PM
I got some sinking pellets that are primarily made of spirulina, but its for orandas and lion head growth! will that work?

TW
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 10:05 AM
I have breeders blend flake & use that together with spectrum & tetra color bits, plus home made beef heart.

Read further up that breeders blend doesn't turn your yellow fish orange. Is that true. Does that also mean that Natu Rose doesn't turn yellow fish also, as well? Anyone know for sure?

I'd like to see my mixed abino back to his original colour.

Thanks in advance.

ILLUSN
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 01:28 PM
Tarig, try a health food shop, they'll be able to sell you pure spirololina powder and anthaxin powder, mix a small pinch of each in with some frozen food.

mistakes r crucial
Sun Jan 20, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hi TW,

As long as you don't over feed NatuRose or Breeders Blend it won't turn your yellow fish orange. At 3 grams per kilo in BH fed once a day or Breeders Blend flake once a day they will be fine. By the way, NatuRose has far more benefits than colour, personally I put that on the bottom of my list.
MAC

fud
Mon Jan 21, 2008, 06:38 AM
ILLUSN, how much anthaxin for a batch of LR's BH mix? & is it worth it?
Sorry for hijacking your thread Tariq.
Cheers fud.

ILLUSN
Mon Jan 21, 2008, 12:18 PM
i was a little generous with it i used about 1 tsp/kg of food (bout 6-7g)

fud
Tue Jan 22, 2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks ILLUSN,I'll give it a try.Always wondered what the inside of a health food store looked like.

Cheers,fud.

TW
Tue Sep 16, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hi Mac

thanks for confirming that naturose won't turn my yellow fish orange, if not over fed & the correct amount to add to my beefheart.

Sorry, another colour question. I've read on other posts that some colour food (eg tetra color bits) can turn the tails of blue diamond pink (or some similar unattractive colour). Will naturose do the same to my blue diamond, or am I safe to include naturose in his diet?

Thanks in advance.

mistakes r crucial
Tue Sep 16, 2008, 08:20 PM
Hi TW,

I fed all my Discus NatuRose on a daily basis and that included about a dozen BD's. I didn't experience any abnormal colouring at all but I kept to that 3gms per kilo of food more often than not. I think you'll find the synthetic forms of Astaxanthin will give you unnatural results more often and you most certainly won't get the additional health benefits that the natural forms will give you. Synthetic is made from petro chemicals, oil, so it's not something I would choose to feed my fish any longer.
Cheers
MAC