View Full Version : peppering

geo/discus breeder
Wed Nov 14, 2007, 08:56 AM
hi if i breed discus with a bit of peppering will the fry have peppering
will people wat to buy them?
thanks

clinny_d
Wed Nov 14, 2007, 01:39 PM
i dont know much, but most probably they will. it is unlikely that they will be clean. but if u go to the breeding section and look for a post that i started its got a lil bit of info about out breeding it.
cheers clinny d

ILLUSN
Wed Nov 14, 2007, 10:44 PM
the fry will be peppered, but that doesnt mean you cant sell them. in any batch of fry you'll have some exceptional fish with good color, good shape and great personality, these fish are easy to sell and just walk out the door regardless of peppering.

as a breeder its YOUR job to pick the best of your fry for growing on, for sale and for futuer breedoing. The rest you'll have to humanely dispose off (dont flush them, dont freeze them).

besides REAL pigions always have some peppering, they still look fantastic in all tanks , (maybe bar a planted tank) they've got heaps of character and a nice contrast with the other comercial species of discus. They grow quick and are a great strain to get started on (one of my first fish was a pigion grew faster then any of the cobolts or blue turks).

Bill T
Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:50 PM
Personally, I like the peppering in pigeons. Makes them unique.

valkyrie
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 08:47 PM
I have two Pidgen bloods that don't have peppering on the body but do have a black hallo on their fins which I am led to believe is a form of peppering so probably not worth breeding, with but they are very attractive fish and look good in a display tank.

Cheers

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:07 PM
The black halo isnt always peppering, all wilds have that, its a trait i look for in my turks or any of my fish with visable vertical bars.

any chance of a photo?

valkyrie
Sun Nov 18, 2007, 04:30 AM
Hi ILLUSN,

these are the discus I was referring to. Sorry about the poor quality of the photos. I don't have my camera at the moment and had to use my phone. Plus my discus seem to know when I am going to take a photo and shoot through.

cheers

valkyrie
Sun Nov 18, 2007, 04:40 AM
oops, hope it worked this time.

valkyrie
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks to revkev I think I have finally worked out to post these pictures. Again sorry for the bad photos, my discus are camera shy.

Cheers

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/valkyrie-01/15-10-06_2045.jpg

valkyrie
Sun Nov 25, 2007, 09:13 PM
That was the male this is the female.

Cheers

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/valkyrie-01/20-10-06_1845.jpg