PDA

View Full Version : into the jungle ... ***** 56k warning *****

wickedglass
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 04:46 AM
hiyas :)
it's been a long time since I posted here, but we've been soooo busy with work, it's stupid. After all that hustle of activity, we took a month off and went to Peru for a well earned rest .... huh ... if you can call it rest .... but it was an adventure! we did the touristy thing and went up to machu picchu of course. we also climbed the mountain next door for a better view, trawled through the sacred valley and ended up in puerto maldonado, located by the rio madre de dios .... after an hour or so on the river and a 5km hike into the jungle we came out at sandoval lake, where we stayed for 4 days.
fish were very low on the list of activities allowed for by our guide, who was an expert on all the creepies in the ground and in the trees, but I used the hours after daylight to scour the shoreline for our piscine friends, much to the test of Laurie's patience. She loves fish too, but I think she indulged me a lot on that one, shining the light for me and braving piranhas, poisonous red-bellied watersnakes and annoying night insects which flocked to the light as soon as it was switched on. Here's some piccies of some of the lake, the fish, their predators and other stuff.

wickedglass
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 04:53 AM
the jungle was so humid and stinking hot the day we got there .... completely different from the dry mountain air which cracked our lips within no time at all.

wickedglass
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 04:58 AM
the surrounds of the lake teemed with wildlife, all of it attractive in its own way

wickedglass
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:07 AM
more jungle fun

wickedglass
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:15 AM
more critters you can poke a stick at ... I don't have any pics of it, but seeing an arapaima surface is an awesome experience. everytime one did, the camera took too long to focus. their scales are huge and they're like a massive serpent coiling through the water. often we saw signs of a mother arapaima shepherding her young along the surface, evidenced by a sudden "boiling" activity on the surface, which dissapeared just as suddenly only to repeat itself a couple of feet further on.

wickedglass
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:21 AM
fish in the water at night are easy to find .... but if you keep the light on too long, the flying insects swamp you like nothing I've ever experienced before. If we had a 10 second window of opportunity we counted ourselves lucky.

wickedglass
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:24 AM
apistogramma and geophagine species hung about at the shore but I wasn't expert enough to identify them correctly

wickedglass
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:30 AM
I caught some with my amazing trap ... a sawn-off water bottle!

wickedglass
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:34 AM
more fishing successes

wickedglass
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:40 AM
nearby in a bunch of water-plants were what I took to be festivums, Sandoval lake is strange though, so it could have been .... the arapaimas are introduced here, too. anyway, here's a couple more pics .... none of the fish were harmed in this and returned back to the water as soon as the pictures were snapped!

nicholas76
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:46 AM
AMAZING PICTURES chris please keep them coming!

scott bowler
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 05:50 AM
wickedglass what a awesome trip mate and great shots thanks for shareing them with us. love to hear more about how it all was

Dan
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 07:53 AM
Hey

WOW

Soo much fun!!!!!

Must have been an awesome trip!!!

Very jealous :)

Ben
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 08:11 AM
Chris those pics are awesome mate and the whole trip would have been an experience like no other!

Its nice to see the same sort of fish we keep in our aquariums out in the wild.

Looking at the pike cichlid its funny that the locals think nothing of them but the same fish here in Australia would fetch $250+

Mattzilla
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 08:22 AM
wow what an amazing trip

i am heading to peru next March... will have to chat before i go so you can point me in the right direction to find all this stuff

awesome pictures, thanks for sharing

matt

Robdog
Tue Nov 13, 2007, 08:29 AM
Sounds like a great trip Chris. Glad to see you haven't dropped off the face of the earth. :wink:
That apisto looks like a little female baenschi with the stripey appearance. Having said that, all the other fish look like female baenschi to me too. :lol: Except for that beautiful pike. Great photos too

oskastolz
Wed Nov 14, 2007, 12:53 AM
awesome mate, you have reinvigorated peters interest in his tank and trawling the Yarra for the beasts that lurk within......

Merrilyn
Wed Nov 14, 2007, 06:54 AM
Welcome back Chris. We missed you :P

But, ohhhhhhhhhh what a wonderful trip you've had. Your photos are fantastic mate.

We look forward to seeing lots more.

Bubbles
Fri Nov 16, 2007, 02:55 AM
Peru is just a dream for me, the only way I get to enjoy Peru is on the net, now I think I'm depressed after seeing your pics & all the info on where you have been - what an experience of a lifetime Chris.

Mattzilla - you will have to make room in those suitcases for the rest of us that want to go :wink:

Mattzilla
Sun Nov 18, 2007, 02:38 AM
stowaways welcome....

ozarowana
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 05:31 AM
Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. Some of those eartheaters look like Satanoperca of some sort.

wickedglass
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:02 PM
hiyas,
it definitely was a great trip, and one of the best I've done so far! we had no concrete plans and did everything off the bat ... I love not being attached to a travel group!
here's a few more pics

wickedglass
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:09 PM
lots of stuff to see in the jungle .... some of the plants are nuts!

wickedglass
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:18 PM
a good part of our time on the lake was spent looking out for the giant otters! there's a small family of 7 living in the lake and they've just had a pup, so they were super shy and antsy. They would also relocate frequently to another of their numerous homes around the lake so they were hard to find. The locals call them "lobos del rio" which means literally "river wolves"

wickedglass
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:24 PM
and here's some more of the critters from around the lake

wickedglass
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:29 PM
dawn choruses of monkey were our alarm clocks at some stupid time in the morning ... we didn't have a watch so we never knew the time, but we knew it was stupid because it involved monkeys!

wickedglass
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:42 PM
there were butterflies, too, giant ones ... brilliant blue hues .... the little bastards wouldn't stand still for a photo, and when we were lucky enough to find one, it had its wings folded up .... bah!
so there it it ... come share in my frustration!

wickedglass
Mon Nov 19, 2007, 02:55 PM
this is only part of our trip, mind you, we spent most of our time in peru up in the andes mountains crawling all over ancient inca ruins and stuff ...
I just thought the jungle stuff would be most interesting for you because it pertains to fish and the environment surrounding their habitat ...

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 01:36 AM
Fantastic photos Chris. Keep them coming.

How did your gouldian finches cope while you were away. Have you got any recent photos of the babies?

wickedglass
Tue Nov 20, 2007, 12:47 PM
hi Merrilyn
we had a giant hopper in the aviary while we were gone, no gouldian babies at the moment, but we have two birds sitting. Also just before we went away we were lucky enough to see a fledgeling double-bar flying about, he's still in there, and there's more on the way, one just hatched yesterday. we also have an emblema (painted) finch baby ....

and proudly presenting the little ugly guy in the pictures .... he will one day be a beautiful scarlet chested parrot !!