PDA

View Full Version : Proven breeding pair - not breeding

madasa
Tue Nov 06, 2007, 04:35 AM
Afternoon everyone

I hope that after a brief explanation you will contribute ...

I have a proven breeding pair of marlboro reds in a breeding tank of approx 140litres cubed. The female is the larger of the two. To the best of my knowledge they have spawned 8 previous times with their previous owner having been in a community tank with mainly other discus. I have had them for approx 3 - 4 months at a guess. They were initially in a 200l tank with a male royal turquiose blue (added as his partner died and
I hoped it might prompt some action out of the other two - it did not.

Decor : breeding cone, internal filter, thermostat, bare bottom

Temp : 30C

PH: 5.0 - 5.5 (use sodium biphosphate)

Nitrates: <5ppm

Ammonia and nitrite 0

Filtration: Internal and cannister turning over about 10 times the volume

Diet: Bloodworm, discus meal, discus pellets, flake, cichlid meal

Feed: 2 - 3 times per day

WC: Twice per week and use discus geoliquid

In a 72" * 14" * 18" I have 9 sub adult - adult discus (all except one being from the chap I got the marlboros from). There are also 3 young red melons from a seperate source. The tank is approx 400litres. Same PH as the breeding tank and also use geo liquid. Has wood, synthetic plants and breeding cones plus bare bottom.

On both tanks I net out uneaten food and faeces every 12 hours.

Questions:

1. As there is no breeding activity would I be wise to put the marlboros with the other dsicus and go from there?

2. Anyone else here use geo liquid? Anything better?

3. Though discus are monogomous (like me & my wife I am pleased to say) can they change or go off partners?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

PS. Samir - that book still hasnt arrived but paid for

PPS. Please try not to write those lengthy replies for which you are famous NOT :))

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 06, 2007, 06:22 AM
Encouraging discus to breed, is something we just can't control. We can give them all the right conditions, just as you have done, and yet they stubbornly refuse to breed.

Buying a 'proven' breeding pair from another source is always a risk. They could be at the end of their productive breeding life, or sometimes just being taken out of their familiar surroundings is enough to put them off breeding for months at a time.

If you want to to breed discus, then the safest and least complicated way is to start of with a group of juveniles and let them pair off naturally.

With your pair now, you can either separate them and try them with other partners, or just keep them together and hope they come through the breeding slump and begin spawning again.

If they were my fish, I'd put the male with a younger female and see what happens.

Good luck.

samir
Tue Nov 06, 2007, 06:42 AM
pics ?

don't change water for a week or two (provided they are healthy) then check the web for the weather in your area, when the barometric pressure drops/rains, do a 50% water change with higher ph say 6.0-6.5 and temp about 24.

how long have you kept them at 5-5.5 ? If they have been at that ph for two months I assume they will be eating well and not have too many health issues.
breeding pairs can be dodgy unless you know the person. better to buy 4-6 @ 10cm and let them pair off.

Marto
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 07:40 AM
What Samir said,
+ Home made beef heart mix
+ Miracle leaf
+ Cover/paint sides and back of tank
Cheers,
Marto.