PDA

View Full Version : cycling with stability

aquaholic
Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:28 PM
hi all
Haven't put a post on for awhile as i have been on holidays but i am back now and ready to crank up the fish tank again :D .
Iwas wondering wether anyone has used or has an opion on seachems stability as it says that you can bung your fish in there whenever you like.

dwilder
Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:44 PM
i've never used it but heard it was one that actually worked

Baro
Fri Nov 02, 2007, 11:03 PM
Cycling still takes time with cycle and similar products. It may work with many fish, but I would wait for several weeks before adding discus. It will help kickstart the seeding of your filter with bacteria to convert the ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. Also keep a close eye on the levels of ammonia, nitratite and nitrate while your tank cycles. If you are doing a fishless cycle you will need to add a source of ammonia (ammonium acetate, a peeled green prawn, fish food) to provide a nitrogen (and carbon) source to fuel the process. The amount of bacteria in your filter is on thing that limits the stocking level in a new tank and how quickly you can add fish. After a week or two test water and if ammonia and nitrate are not detected you could add a hardy fish or two such as bristlenoses or rummynosed tetras - if you have any nitrate do a water change to bring it to <5ppm. Algae can be a problem in new tanks so I would add a BN to start with. After a week, if the new fish look healthy and water tests are good you could double the fish load.

Cheers,

Paul.