PDA

View Full Version : Recommended plants for a Discus planted tank

Alex Cheng
Thu Nov 01, 2007, 11:33 PM
Hi,

Just got myself a CO2 system and am looking to improve the greenery in my tank. What would people recommend I start growing that will be compatible with Discus?

Thanks,
Alex

scott bowler
Thu Nov 01, 2007, 11:39 PM
hi alex mate there is so many plants you can hae in the discus tank , if you have a look i have crips .amazon swords things like that . have a look at this link it may help http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php
so on here you will not be able to get but it is some were to start good luck mate let us know how you go

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 01, 2007, 11:42 PM
Amazon swords, any of the new cultivars that handel temps of 30 degrees (devils eye, red deil, red october). E.grisbachi also does quite well.

tiger lotus, javafern, java moss any of the hydrophilla species will also go well as will most of the rotalla species.

Alex Cheng
Fri Nov 02, 2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I will need to do some research.

Baro
Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:38 PM
I also have Myriophyllum aquaticum (Filigree Milfoil) and a nymphae sp water lilly in my tank and they do very well at the higher temperatures.

Cheers,

Paul.

DIY
Sat Nov 03, 2007, 12:12 AM
I've been running a planted discus tank for a bit over 2 years, and the plants I've tried in my tank are:

Ambulia - Grows like crazy, I prune about 10-15cm off the top every week. always looks nice.
Macranda - Grows fairly well, looks great with it's red/pink colouring
Milfoil - Doesn't seem to do well, but I think it gets out-competed in my tank.
Glosso - I've tried several times but never successful
Tiger Lotus - Grows really well in my tank, keeps taking over requiring heavy trimming, make sure you keep the ferts up. Looks great!
Crypts (various) - Slow growing plant but does OK at temps, looks nice especially the copper tone varieties.
Hair Grass - Takes a while to get established, but providing it's not in the shade (see tiger lotus above!) it grows well and is nice for a different look in the foreground
Blyxa Japonica - Grows well and is a nice shade of green
Java Fern - I find this survives but doesn't really grow at the higher temps, is prone to melting if you turn up the temp even higher which is a shame as it's one of my favourite plants
Java Moss - again does not do so well at the temps we run it grows but slowly
Stricta - I actually find this does better when co2 is lower, possibly gets out-competed by other plants when co2 is high, nice looking background plant and is fine at our temps.
Anubia - I have several varieties like nana etc. slow growing and is always the first to get algae on it's leaves like green spot or black brush, fine at higher temps and looks nice on wood pieces.
amazon sword - Grows quite well, probably too well in fact as it grows very large and takes over the look of the tank, I don't like the "one single plant dominating" look but great if you do. Also inclined to get algae on the leaves quickly, probably something to do with the large surface area of the leaves. Will show in it's leaves any fertiliser deficiency!
wisteria - grows fast, nice looking but due to the sideways growth can take over the tank quickly. no problems at our temps
Lace Fern - Grows fast and very fine leaves are a nice look. Doesn't like shade and gets outcompeted in my tank but handles temps fine.
Varigated Hygro - tends to grow like crazy, after Ambulia it's the most pruned plant in my tank every week. Nice looking with the pale green leaves with white veins, tending to pinkish leaves near the surface.
Elodea - forget it, more of a coldwater plant melts quickly at temps of 30c, and yes I tried!
Rotala Walachii - Grows OK but a bit fragile, always gets outcompeted for light in my tank unless I prune everything around it. shame as it's a nice looking plant, OK at our temps.
Pink Baby tears - Grows ok, but tends to get outcompeted in my tank handles temps fine.
Red Milfiol - not very successful in my tank, survived for a while but I think the temp may have been too high for it.

I'm sure there's other's I've tried but I can't rememeber right now - they probably aren't as readily available anyway.

Fire Dragon
Sat Nov 03, 2007, 03:40 AM
Waouw :P 8-)
Great descriptions and it's also very helpfull for anybody who's searching for suitable plants.
Thank you :D

Robdog
Sat Nov 03, 2007, 05:01 AM
Great response junkie! Really helpful :thumb

Davo
Sun Nov 04, 2007, 08:45 AM
You can always drop the temp to 27-28 degrees and it won't affect the discus and the plants will love it.

Dave.

godprint
Wed Nov 14, 2007, 06:16 AM
how does Java moss benefit the tank?

anyone care to advise?
thanks!

ILLUSN
Wed Nov 14, 2007, 07:36 AM
javamoss is a living NO3 sponge, seriously, if youget a good clump of this stuff growing in your tank it will soak up the NO3, wysteria is another plant really good for this. java moss has the advantage of growing in VERY low light (under the shade of other plants) and you can attach it to anything.

Bill T
Wed Nov 14, 2007, 11:57 PM
Q: How long do amazon swords last? Years, decades, centuries?
I have two that have been thriving for a long time, but now they seem to have "lost the will" - slow to put up new leaves & the old leaves getting scummy. I've trimmed them back a lot in the hope this will stimulate growth.

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 12:59 AM
amazons are good for atleast 5 years, if the growth has slowed, dig the plant up and remove the rhizome (hard woody corm that forms) once tis is gone they will shoot back to life.

a bit of NPK around the roots will also help out a lot.

zar
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:38 AM
does anyone get amazons multiply in tanks?
my amazons seem to be growing nicely, but i've never had it multiply...

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 02:45 AM
try changing the photoperiod and the temp, if your runng 12 hours, cut back to 10 for 1 month and drop the temp by 5 degrees, then up the photoperiod back to 12 hours and the temp back up. it'll make them flower.

mine multiply the moment i move them between the tanks and the out door pnds, also in summer when the days get longer (and warmer).

Bill T
Fri Nov 16, 2007, 12:42 AM
What is NPK?

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 16, 2007, 01:12 AM
Nitrogen, phosphourus potasium the 3 macro elements needed by plants.

swords are VERY heavy feeders and need them.