PDA

View Full Version : Crystal clear water

tricky1
Thu Nov 01, 2007, 06:26 PM
Hi all
Hi IV got a 4 foot tank with discus in it with other fish and plants, I have a pro 2028 filter but I just cannot get the water crystal clear there are always bits floating around very small particles.
Not left over food,
In the filter I have ceramics and floss only can any one tell the way to get it crystal, what about carbon?? :?
Tank’s Ritchie :lol:

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 01, 2007, 10:29 PM
how often do you clean your filter? the floss should get most of it out. if not try some biochem zorb. you can use carbon, however you need to replace it (and while your there replace your floss) every fortnight.

Tommo
Sat Nov 03, 2007, 07:49 AM
tricky1 ....... ILLUSN Is Right ,Carbon Will Really Polish Your Water So It Is Crystal Clear..

Cheers tommo

Tam
Sat Nov 03, 2007, 11:31 AM
try seachem purigen... works a treat

tricky1
Sun Nov 04, 2007, 09:32 PM
Will do, i try carbon thanks :lol:

Stevepet23
Mon Nov 05, 2007, 02:56 AM
try seachem purigen... works a treat

I agree, this stuff works great & lasts about 6 months!

ktakeshi
Fri Nov 30, 2007, 05:27 AM
2nd on the seachem purigen, they are expensive, but they sure work very well..
i would rate them very similar to protein skimmer of freshwater keeping..
but thats if u dont like the yellow color of fish's piss,
and carbon does the job very well too..just doesnt last as long.

but if for floating particles..
you may have to position ur spray bar, so that the circulation in your tank is correct so all the water do get to the intake pipe..

and one important thing to look out for, is do not place any air stone, or similar things near the intake of the cannister filter, as the particles will simply be blown back up to the surface, and wont be able to be filtered out, the best place in the tank to place the air stone, if possible, is the opposite side of the intake,

and cleaning ur floss in ur filter regularly is a given :)

Davo
Tue Dec 04, 2007, 09:23 AM
Ritchie,

Do you clean the hoses on your filter. Give them a clean at least every 2-3 months and the flow rate will improve greatly. You may also need new filter wool or maybe clean it. You should then see alot of the floaties gone.

Dave.

gypsy3
Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:32 PM
hi guys....the purigen i assume has to be put in a net or something.would a stocking be ok? also, what layer of media would you put it on and would it have to cover the whole surface area of the media or just have a bag of it free floating in the filter, if you know what i mean

Stevepet23
Wed Dec 05, 2007, 02:35 AM
hi guys....the purigen i assume has to be put in a net or something.would a stocking be ok? also, what layer of media would you put it on and would it have to cover the whole surface area of the media or just have a bag of it free floating in the filter, if you know what i mean

It is already in a net type thing. All you do is put it on top of the filter wool in a canister filter. Thats what I do & what I was told to do & it works really well.

gypsy3
Wed Dec 05, 2007, 06:23 AM
yeah, that's for the small 100g bag i think.i've just ordered the 1 litre container, so i think i'd have to put it in something, just not sure how much i'd have to use for an fx5.

martraci
Wed Dec 05, 2007, 07:33 AM
shit dude 1L thats heaps expensive!!!
anyway i use flyscreen with purigen
you can also clean it in bleach, read the instructions

and note man, if you do use carbon it will remove almost everything (good & bad) and any fertilisers/water additives

Davo
Sat Dec 08, 2007, 09:26 AM
I use a stocking and it works fine. You van also buy different sized bags online.

gypsy3
Sat Dec 08, 2007, 10:27 AM
thanks for that...but how much would i need to put into an fx5, and which media would i put with, or doesn't it matter? wouls it be better in the top, middle or bottom basket?

rwel4809
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 08:11 AM
Just checking... does purigen suck all the fertz out of the water like carbon? I removed the carbon pad out of my 2217 this morning and have returned home to find the the water has gone a little hazy.

I thought I'd try some purigen, is it good for a planted tank??

Robert

Davo
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 09:12 AM
Purigen will not remove any ferts from the water column.