PDA

View Full Version : not able to do the water changes

Ness
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 12:08 PM
hey guys.
this may sound familiar to some.
i've gotta cut down on the time spent in the fishroom to concentrate
more on my relationship.
problem im having is that i'm cutting back to once a week water changes.
the water enters the tank with a ph of 6.8 and drops to about 5 by the time the week is up. thinkin of putting some crushed coral in the tank to hopefuly hold the ph for that bit longer. will this work?

taksan
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 12:40 PM
It will work a bit ...might raise it slightly higher though.
I'd recommend trashing your relationship so you can spend more time with your fish.

shannon
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 12:49 PM
Taskan's got a point,whats ya filtration ?

shannon
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 12:52 PM
Sorry for the spelling mistake TAKSAN :oops: :oops:

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:14 PM
I'd recommend trashing your relationship so you can spend more time with your fish.

Trash your relationship and you will definately be spending more time with your fish, whether you want to or not :?

As long as your tanks aren't overstocked, and you have plenty of good filtration, you'll be okay with weekly water changes for adult discus.

Juveniles really do need their water changed several times a week, or they become stunted and unthrifty.

See if you can interest your girlfriend in doing the water changes with you. Maybe name a fish after her, that often works, even if it is a bit sneaky.

Alternatively, find a way to automate your water changes, so they take up very little time.

PS Use the crushed coral. Just a little bit to begin with. It works :wink:

Ness
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:17 PM
CF-1200 on a 350 litre tank. sorry guys but i value my relationship above the fish. good thought sometimes though.
been thinkin of geetin rid of the lot except for the 10 f1 tefe greens. they are my pride and joy.

Ness
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:22 PM
in the 350 liter tank there are only 6 adults. this is the only tank i'm having this problem. the rest have younger fish which i keep at a higher kh

samir
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:23 PM
See if you can interest your girlfriend in doing the water changes with you.

:shock: :shock: :shock: how ????

gypsy3
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:23 PM
tefe greens?... ugly looking fish. i'll get rid of them for ya! :)

Ness
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:30 PM
funny that, there are alot of people wanting to take them off my hands

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:34 PM
Easy samir. It's called bribery.

Tell her if she helps with the water changes, you'll have more time to take her shopping. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now what woman could resist an offer like that :wink:

Ness
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:37 PM
tried that.

samir
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:54 PM
Tell her if she helps with the water changes, you'll have more time to take her shopping. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do I get a feeling that 10 minutes of water changes will translate into 10 hours of shopping :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ness
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 02:00 PM
ditto

samir
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 02:04 PM
before you pop the question, you should pop the question... Do you love doing water changes ?. :lol: :lol:
I think once a week should be fine.

ILLUSN
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 03:15 PM
this sounds so familiar. do what i did,
1. build her an art studio
2. get her hooked on world of warcraft
now i spend 3hrs na day mon-fri and 6-8hrs weekend without interuption (no i'm not joking)!

seriously, if your ph is dropping that much in a week get a tablespoon of crushed coral into your filter (i use one of my wifes old stockings as a bag).

also you might want to seriously consider a second filter or a bigger filter just to be on the safe side.

your tank isn't over stocked, maybe a quick clean 1/2 hour after feeding just to get any uneaten food out will also help. once a week should be ok till your relationship settles down.

Ness
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 09:43 PM
thanks for the replies guys.
i'm setting up a 500 liter on a sump for the adults so hopefully it will
make life a bit easier.also i've started building all my tanks with a sloped floor to make them easier to vac after feeding.all the tanks are bare bootom

Xtreme
Sun Oct 28, 2007, 12:45 AM
run some zeolite in it too
might help keep the level down till the sump comes

HTH