PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ram Spawn Disappeared

Dangerous Dave
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 10:34 AM
Hi,

I have a pari of blue rams in a tank with some neon and glowlight tetras and a couple of ottos.
They are a very young pair and spawned for the first time last night. The eggs had disappeared by this morning. I wasnt expecting much as it was their first spawn and know that more than likely they ate the eggs themselves.
Anyway, I just wanted to know whether ottos are notorious egg eaters?
Just wondering whether I should move them or will the rams be able to hold their own?

Cheers,

gingerbeer01
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 11:13 PM
The rams will not hold there own in that tank - however it is likely if it was there first spawn that the eggs were infertile. I would give them a bit of practice and see how they go.

Rams when they first spawn tend to spawn in pretty stupid places - very difficult to defend - and then learn how to be a bit clever and more committed to protection - so a few spawns in therre will probably make them better parents anyway for when you do seperate.

Steve

fishgeek
Sun Oct 28, 2007, 10:11 AM
the tetra's will eat the fry if any hatc in future attempts, take most of them out as thy are going to be too quick for theram too defend against

andrew

Rod
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 02:17 AM
In my experience Rams will spawn in just about any water conditions....but it is unlikely they will be fertile and hatch unless the water is quite soft.

I've never been able to get Rams to raise young in a community tank....it always seems to get too much for them.....I've got a pair at the moment that have laid eggs a numer of times...I've removed all other fish from the tank and intend to remove parents if They can get a spawn to the free swimming stage....

Commercial breeders remove eggs and raise them.....but I'd rather have the Rams do it?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/A_H_Sprite/2006_0321jones0023.jpg[/url]

Dangerous Dave
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 05:13 AM
I am not worried about the fry. I will pul them as soon as they are free swimming.
What I wanted to know was whether ottos are notorious egg eaters or whether the rams will get their number eventaully.

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 05:20 AM
Most of them are great parents, but all fish including ottos, will eat eggs given a chance.

Leave a dim light on during the night so the parents can see to defend their eggs.

fishgeek
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 07:42 AM
never had any issue with oto's eating egg's