PDA

View Full Version : black ghost knife spawn

the german
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:17 AM
got them a few weeks ago,now they spawned,i dont expect much because i didnt use soft water,they have aprox. 400-500 eggs
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j140/mapaearth/BGKegs.jpg

Bubbles
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:32 AM
My goodness, I thought these fish are hard to breed?

We used to have a Ghost Knife - he was awsome & thought he was human, we had to feed him seperate to the other fish & at night or he would miss out on the food cause they are mostly blind, which would make spawning very interesting!!!!!

the german
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:37 AM
i think the prob is to find a pair.
not many arround in aquariums,i bought them as a proven pair.
its not too hard to breed,i just imitate their natural habitat and it worked

vlsvls
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 05:51 AM
nice work...how much did the breeding pair cost you mate?

Ben
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 06:40 AM
thats awesome!

keep us posted on how the fries go!

the german
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 07:23 AM
the pair was very expensiv :D

yeah ben i love it,but i dont know if any eggs will hatch,hard water,i was not prepared........
but the guy i bought them of said they lay every 4 weeks :D

discusme
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 03:02 PM
Cool Michael. Nice to have something different :D.
Do you still keep discus ?

Ronny

the german
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 03:18 PM
nah no discus anymore........

i will get me some later down the track to grow them up myself,maybe some of yours when you decide to breed :D

samir
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 03:37 PM
thats really cool mate, i don't think too many people have bred them, unless things have changed. good luck with the fry.

the german
Sat Oct 27, 2007, 11:49 PM
thanks samir,i think there are one or two poeple who bred them before

zar
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 12:04 AM
if there are only two ppl who have bred them before,i wonder where do LFS get their small ghosts from? there must be someone in the world who breeds them for commerical sale or are they all wild cought? i doubt they're wilds somehow..being sold for 10 bucks..
There'd be at least 2 ppl in QLD who have bred them (if what i read in some of our local fish forums is true). one guy from the gc has posted pictures of his fry, i remember seeing them somewhere on the web.

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 02:58 AM
Congratulations Michael. You've done a great job with them :P

Robdog
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 04:35 AM
What size adults are you talking about here? and are there any signs as to which sex is what???

samir
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 04:35 AM
There'd be at least 2 ppl in QLD who have bred them (if what i read in some of our local fish forums is true). one guy from the gc has posted pictures of his fry, i remember seeing them somewhere on the web.

someone from the gc was the probably first to breed them. apparently the fishgeeks from Qld are leading the way with breeding of this species.

zar
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 04:50 AM
heheh yeah

apparently once they're big you can sex them by looking at the headshape. the length of the head is different between a male and a female, one has got a longer head. when they breed apparently the white stipe on the tail and head turns red.
here is a link to the qld forum i was talking about, there is a longer article in one of the posts about how to breed them. still amazing that you've achieved it german.

http://www.qldaf.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1783

the german
Mon Oct 29, 2007, 08:09 AM
thanks merrilyn

Robdog Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:35 pm Post subject:

What size adults are you talking about here? and are there any signs as to which sex is what???

size of one is 25+ the other one is 18 or bit bigger. and

they have different amount of white on the tails but i dont know wich one is male or female

valkyrie
Thu Nov 01, 2007, 11:08 PM
if there are only two ppl who have bred them before,i wonder where do LFS get their small ghosts from? there must be someone in the world who breeds them for commerical sale or are they all wild cought? i doubt they're wilds somehow..being sold for 10 bucks..

I have a Ghost knife and the other day saw at my lfs baby white ghost knife, when I asked where and how they are breed. The guy said that in asia where they order these guys from they use forced spawning to get them in large enough numbers to export using hormones injected into the fish. NOT NICE. Glad I am not a Ghost knife over their.

Cheers

samir
Fri Nov 02, 2007, 08:35 AM
The guy said that in asia where they order these guys from they use forced spawning to get them in large enough numbers to export using hormones injected into the fish. NOT NICE. Glad I am not a Ghost knife over their.
Cheers

they do it with clown loaches as well, it sure beats taking them out of the wild. better to inject a fish than ransack the Amazon.
a lot of farm bred fish for human consumption are also bred the same way.