PDA

View Full Version : alternative to BBS

Marto
Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:58 PM
Hi all,

Are there any alternatives to BBS for fry?

Cheers,

M.

ILLUSN
Fri Oct 26, 2007, 01:10 PM
cyclops? I'm actually keen to try these myself.

benjohnson
Fri Oct 26, 2007, 01:27 PM
ILLUSN... I've used cyclops on some fry , it worked quite well, but it was slightly too big for them for their first couple of days of free swimming, so perhaps you would need some BBS or rotifers for that period then move to cyclops. I used a product called ZM-100 here in the UK which is very fine baby fry food. That really helped , not sure if you can get it in Oz or find a similiar product if you wwant to try that route. you can find it on ebay here in the UK quite easily

Cheers,
Ben

Marto
Fri Oct 26, 2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys,

We have actually lucked onto some brilliant parents who have done all the right things thus far.

The fry are "attached". (today)

Just looking for the next step in food supply.

What are cyclops?

M.

ILLUSN
Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks Ben, i've been using bbs for a while now just once they fry get a bit bigger I'll be looking into the cyclops.

Marto cyclops are small crustations, these things are about 2x the size of bbs (0.8mm i think). they're suppose to be very rich in fatty acids and antioxidents, as well as a good source of protein. you get the freezdried from Ben at AOA or Wayne and Bec from Xtreme

flaggy
Fri Oct 26, 2007, 09:57 PM
Marto, what is your reason for seeking an alternative to BBS? If it is convenience, then perhaps microworms could be worth looking at. I believe it is smaller and less nutritious compared with BBS, and stinks a bit, but I've cultered my first batch, and the whole process has been very simple to date, inclduing the harvesting part. It is useful for fry that are too small for BBS.

samir
Sat Nov 10, 2007, 07:00 AM
you can use the posaqua frozen bbs, after a week you can get the fry on to a very fine beefheart mix.

Ben
Sat Nov 10, 2007, 07:02 AM
frozen BBS works well followed up by some good quality fry foods, White Crane make a discus forumula in #3 sizes. White crane colour enhancing foods are dodgy big time but the fry foods are good.

heng
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 01:47 PM
i've been feeding my 1st batch with bbs up to date. their a couple months old now and the size slightly larger than a 2 dolar coin. so you guys would reccomend cyclops or discus forumula fry food. anyone know where i can get some in melbourne?

nicholas76
Sun Nov 11, 2007, 08:47 PM
They are a few months old?

Id have them on a home made beef heart mix and tetra bit by now.

Marto
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 07:19 AM
Thank you all for the info and discussion,
Week three on frozen BBS and they are now competing with their parents for the beef heart!
No luck tracking down the cyclops but will keep trying.
The fry are finger nail size and the parents will be coming out this weekend.
Marto.

flaggy
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 07:40 AM
Marto, you can find cyclop-eeze from the forum sponsors, eg http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/search.php?search=cyclop

I'd be interested with others' experience with freeze-dried cyclop-eeze - normally it just floats on the water. What's the best way of getting this to sink? Soaking in a little water first?

Cheers

Marto
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks flaggy,
I was hoping for a local (Sydney) supplier but we might have to give them a try.
Definately re hydrate in a thimble of tank water and use a syringe to get them in there somewhere near where they need to be.
Cheers,
Marto.