PDA

View Full Version : dirty glass in a breeding tank.

ILLUSN
Sun Oct 21, 2007, 06:23 AM
I've got a bit on an embarassing problem.
My Red Rose pair have spawned again and this time theres close to 60 fry (previous spawns were 5,12 & 30ish).

they've been feeding off mum and dad for 3 days and so i thought i'd better get a photo before these fry dissapear too.

The glass is filthy, its covered in green algae, i went to wipe it clean and dad went nuts and started charging and pecking at my hand.

is it ok to leave the algae on the glass for another few weeks or will it start to reduce my water quality (growing algae dies, ammonia builds up etc).

filtration is a diy sponge filter on an eheim 200L/h air pump.

any thoughts?

samir
Sun Oct 21, 2007, 07:14 AM
its not like it hurts, put your hand in, grin and bear it.

i don't think they will eat them this time. keep an eye on them and if you find the culprit remove it and let the other take care of the babies. hope you have taken out the cone and anything else they can spawn on.

ILLUSN
Sun Oct 21, 2007, 07:49 AM
yeah mate i took out the cone with the last batch and then they spawned on the glass LOL.

last time it was dad eating them, this times he's doig a much better job of looking after them. if fry start to dissapear...

I've got a spare female red rose in my display tank spawning with a blue turk, what do think the chances are of getting the boy to look after both ladies?

samir
Sun Oct 21, 2007, 08:13 AM
getting this pair going first would probably be a better idea. 60 wrigglers are not bad at all mate :thumb feed them more and you'll probably hit 300. use sera fishtamins or Andrew's pro-more once it comes in.

ILLUSN
Sun Oct 21, 2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks mate, i picked up my fishtamins off Wayne on saturday i'll add it to my next batch of beefheart mix, been feeding the adults live spirolina fed brine 2x a day and they seem much happier this time, they're constantly tending the brood. will put up some pics tonight.

for the fry mate, have you tried that freezdried cyclops that Ben at AOA is selling, looks good on paper.

Ben
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:22 AM
Best to keep the glass panels clear of any algae/detritus. It can habour pathnogens which may hurt/kill baby fries.

UV's for baby fries works wonders.

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks Ben, I'll clean it up tomorrow with the water change, heres a pic, sorry all the glass is filthy, but all the fish seem happy. the bubs have worked out what the BBS is for :wink: