PDA

View Full Version : Air stone query with Eheim wet/dry filter

riverlanddiscus
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 10:42 AM
Another question that I hope someone can help me with. I have a Eheim 2227 that is now working, as o-ring had run away to live in my son's toybox. He came back today so up and running. I have a lightly planted 4 foot tank isn't using co2. My query is, do I need an air stone as I think that the canister is mixing with o2 and dispersing through water, I have tried to check through internet and this site, and cannot find the answer. Appreciate any help!

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 11:37 AM
I'm very much in favour of airstones in every discus tank, or tank where you have the temperature in the high twenties.

Discus have a high oxygen requirement, and as you know, warm water holds a lot less oxygen than cold water.

Much better to be safe than sorry, and you can never have too much oxygen in a tank.

Greggy
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 03:57 PM
The Wet/Dry cycling of the Eheim 2227/2229 series of filters really oxygenates the water and so I doubt you would need an air stone.

However if you are running your Eheim Wet/Dry filter in wet-only mode (by plugging the breather tube) you should probably add an air stone.

But be warned... once I had an Eheim 2227 Wet/Dry filter but it had problems as it continually blowed micro-bubbles out of the spray bar, and after several attempts to correct the problem Eheim's agent in Australia (Bay Fish) refunded me. IMO the Eheim 2227/2229 filters are good in theory, but they are a little complicated and things go wrong with them MUCH more often than conventional (wet) canister filters.

Regards,

Greggy