PDA

View Full Version : Discus Caviar - someone please help ....

Ozboc
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 12:26 AM
Well 1 week ago or so , my female laid a heap of eggs , I was very happy - off to night shift i go - 5 hours later i am told by the misses that they were Both picking the eggs off and eating them ..... checked this forum and seen some replies saying this is standard behavior for new parents .....

Last night , my female was laying again - and the male was straight behind eating the eggs about 10 seconds later- he didn't even wait - she was laying , he was straight behind hoovering them up .....

how can i curb this behavior - whats going on ?????
these are the only 2 discus in the tank - water is in pristine condition - tank hold about 400 liters + and i also have 4 catfish in there , but they don't pose much of a threat ......

help

Boc

Ozboc
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 12:34 AM
forgot to add -- maybe i have 2 females ????? not sure -- so any experts that could id my fish -- the address is here

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/sydneypumps/discus/

thanks

Boc

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 02:38 AM
You can put a mesh guard over the eggs, so the parents can see the eggs, and fan them, but not reach them to eat. By the time the fry are free swimming, the parenting instinct has usually kicked in and they become good parents.

Hard to tell from those photos, but I suspect you have two females.