PDA

View Full Version : Sick Hongsloi Male

Bubbles
Fri Oct 19, 2007, 05:40 AM
He has a "lock-jaw" apperance with his mouth & l have been given suggestions of mouth infection. His mouth has been like this since yesterday late arvo. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

fishgeek
Fri Oct 19, 2007, 07:00 AM
they can sometimes dislocate
is he able to eat
are there any visible changes to the surface of the mouth??
has he been fighting with other males?

you can try and replace with damp cotton bud

andrew

Robdog
Fri Oct 19, 2007, 08:13 AM
Sorry to say it Karen but it's probably going to die if it isn't a dislocation like Andrew said.
I've had a few apisto that have had a similar appearance, and while I thought the same thing regarding possible dislocation, it seemed to be a symptom that later developed into difficulty breathing(gasping) and then into disorientated swimming and hiding in caves followed quickly by death.
I really really hope it isn't the same as what I had. It looks really uncomfortable for the fish.

Bubbles
Fri Oct 19, 2007, 08:38 AM
Hey Robdog & fishgeek,

Thanks for your replies.

I wish I could say he was fighting with other males but unfortunately not, he was in with his female & they only spawned 3 days ago with the eggs already wrigglers on the bottom of the pot, he was a good dad - fanning the eggs with his girl, we put a filter sponge cover over the intake in the tank to stop the fry from being sucked up last night & since doing that we have had the problem with the Hongsloi & his lock-jaw appearence, there is no aparent damage to the outside of his mouth & it's really hard to tell if the inside of his mouth is ok because he will not face me front on.

I have just fed all the fish & he is not even interested in food as he normally comes to the front when I tap the glass - he knows it's feed time.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
He is going to starve & die is'nt he!!!!!!!!!

I feel awfull - I can't even help the poor little bugger.

Do I need to put him to sleep?

Cheers,
Karen :cry:

Robdog
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 08:16 AM
What's the latest Karen?? Has he improved or deteriorated??
Hoping for the besthttp://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB2/images/smiles/rtaw_crossfingers.gif

Bubbles
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 08:32 AM
Hey Robdog,

Thanks for concern but unfortunately there was no improvement today & was still not eating so we had him put down - (so to speak)

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

We are vey lucky - his legacy lives on in his new fry :D

Thanks again for your concern & to all who helped - including ThOmas who I had PM before posing in ER.

Cheers,
Bubbles aka Karen

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 11:06 AM
Karen I'm so sorry.

Sometimes we just have to do things we don't like.

He was a beautiful fish. I hope his babies turn out just like him.

Bubbles
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks Merrilyn,

Was a sad thing to do - he was funny to watch, he used to try & impress his girl by doing his shake & rattle dance, he looked like he was having an epileptic fit with a bit of Elvis thrown in.

Thanks for your post Merrilyn, his fry are doing great & his girl is a good mum.

Cheers,
Karen

Ben
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 10:50 PM
sorry to hear about the little guy Karen.
Keep us posted how mum and kids go.

take care
Ben