PDA

View Full Version : Female or Male?

mrfish
Thu Oct 18, 2007, 01:38 PM
Hi

My discus have bred for the second time 11 days apart. I think both may be females. When they laid eggs the first time only the Blue Snakeskin laid the eggs. The Red Turq did not lay eggs but only did one or two rough passes (not very close to eggs) so I dont think they were fertilized if Red Turk is Male.

Yesterday my Red Turq had what looked to be a big blunt breeding tube. Today they have more eggs which I did not witness them lay (I dont know if Blue Snakeskin or Red Turq or both laid them?).

The first time the eggs were eaten by the next morning. I will see how this next lot go tonight.

Here are some pics I know the Blue Snake skin is definately female but the Red Turk I am suspect on. In the following pic the breeding tube of the Blue Snakeskin in the bottom left and the Red Turk is in the top right. (The Red Turks Breeding Tube is much smaller in this pic than it was yesterday)

Any theories are much appreciated

Cheer

Mark

mrfish
Thu Oct 18, 2007, 01:39 PM
Here is the Blue Snakeskin fanning the eggs

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 19, 2007, 04:11 AM
They are still quite young fish, so eating eggs is pretty normal at this stage.

I suspect you have two females there.

Two females will lay eggs together in the absence of a male. Obviously the eggs will be infertile, and usually get eaten within a day or so.

I think you need to look for a nice male to go with one of those pretty females.

mrfish
Fri Oct 19, 2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks Merrilyn

The eggs were there this morning but gone by tonight when I got home from work.

I will hopfully get a Red Turq not this weekend but next weekend. I am getting them off a friend. Not sure if male or female (fingers crossed its a male). I am also on the look out for a male Blue Snakeskin.

I am thinking that once I get the Red Turq I will divide the Red Turks on one side of the tank and the Blue Snakeskin on the other with prerspex. They will all be able to see each other but the perspex will hopfully force the Red Turqs to bond and cause female pair to break their bond.

Its sounds like a good plan. Success is another thing altogether.

Cheers

Mark