PDA

View Full Version : Bio-chem zorb...

GrkBoy
Tue Oct 16, 2007, 10:27 PM
Hey guys, I have a question for all you bio-chem users.

Does Bio-chem soften the water att all??? The reason I ask is as I have been using it on my new tank setup, and the water that I used to fill my tank was 1/3 tap and 2/3 r/o. This gave me a p.h of 7,4 and a k.h of 4. After 8 hours of filtering, my p.h has dropped to 6,6 and my k.h to 2.

The only other object in my tank that might affect the hardnes is my large driftwood/root that I have, but that doesnt seem to be leeching any colour(tannins), and I soaked it for a week and it brought out no color.

Please guys, any help is appreciated... at this rate I might be headed for a p.h crash!

Ben
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 11:04 PM
Hi Mate, I have never had any problems with biochem taking out minerals/calcuim/salts out of the water. Bieng made of resin and carbon both products should not take any of the above out.

The wood maybe creating a slight PH drop.

keep us posted.

taksan
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 11:59 PM
6.6 is a good PH anyhow.

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 21, 2007, 03:15 AM
Wood will soften the water slightly.

I don't think you're headed for a pH crash or anything. Your RO mix using one third tap water will add sufficient minerals to your tank to keep things stable.

GrkBoy
Sun Oct 21, 2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks for all the reply guys.

Having such low p.h is GREAT, but I also want to be injecting Co2, and if I go according to the p.h/kh chart, a k.h of 2 and p.h of 6,6 is just right with regards to ammount of Co2 in the water... wich makes my p.h controller useless :(

Well I added soda, and brought my k.h up to 4 - 4.5 and my p.h has been steady at 6,6 - 6,7 for about 3 days using the p.h controler.

So my new water stats are:

K.h 4 - 4,5
G.h 3 - 4
P.h - 6,6 - 6,7

Does it all sound right to you guys?? My ammonia levels have come down within a week as I used old filter matterial from a old tank, and im thinking from next week to start by adding 2 sae's to clean up (if any) algae that might have creeped in without me seeing....

Will adding fish, and thus increasing my bio load, cause any changes to my p.h???