PDA

View Full Version : Filtration Advice

marg
Tue Oct 16, 2007, 12:36 PM
Hi Guys,

Haven't been on line for ages, but have a question for you all (experts like Ben, Taksan and Ladyred) :

I have a 300 litre tank and the Filter is getting tired, and I would like to purchase a new Eheim Filter.

What model would you suggest regarding :

(a) Efficiency

(b) Ease of Maintenance

Please bear in mind that I am a female on my own with health problems, and therefore need something that is easy all round!!.

Looking forward to your advice,

Marg.

Greggy
Tue Oct 16, 2007, 01:10 PM
Hi Marg,

I'm no 'expert' but I think you would do well with an Eheim 2228.

I feel the Eheim Classic series are also very good but not as easy to maintain as the newer Professional series.

Regards,

Greggy

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 16, 2007, 01:22 PM
Marg, I'm with greggy, 2228 for ease of maintence,

not sure what your health problems are but the 2028 with the selfprime might be better again.

2028 slightly more efficient then the 2228 using 20w instead of 25w to move 1050L/hour (empty filter that is). however there is a fair diferance in price between the 2 models.

marg
Tue Oct 16, 2007, 01:50 PM
Hi greggy & Illusn,

My health problems are physical - heavy lifting is out - the easier the better.

Just want something that does a good job, is easy to prime and is easy for maintenance.

marg.

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 16, 2007, 11:33 PM
Either of the 2 filters will do then. for cleaning, you can stop them, remove the media baskets individually (not heavy) and then the filter will only be 1/2 full of water making it easier to lift. the 2028 will proably be easier to get going, but once it is the self prime will only really be of use once every 6 months or so when you clean the hoses.

apistodiscus
Wed Oct 17, 2007, 10:09 AM
if you want ease of maintenance I would get a sump fitted. All you have to do is change a bit of prefilter (filterwool) every week or two. The main media can be left alone for a year or so. You will also increase the overall water volume of your set-up and so reduce the number/frequency of water cahnges or , alternatively you will be able to stock more fish.
I know it's not the easiest thing to fit on an existing tank since you won't be able to get it drilled unless you can move your fish to another tank. But DIY overflowboxes are easy enough to make. Even if you had to buy one plus the sump, you will probably not look at much more of an expense than buying an Eheim filter. I am comparing with prices in Ireland but I don't think it would be much the same in Australia.

Should you decide on an external canister filter, go for a Tetratec filter (not sure if they are available in Australia but would imagine they are). They are a lot cheaper than Eheims and just as good

Robdog
Wed Oct 17, 2007, 12:56 PM
Hey Marg, good to see you still kicking! Unlike LadyRed unfortunately. She died a few months back. It was a shock to us all! :cry:

If LadyRed were here she'd probably recommend the Pro 3. I believe it has wheels on the bottom so it would be easier for you to shift around and it's a ripper of a filter. Pretty exxy ($$$) though but probably worth it.

Hope to see you round here a bit more often Marg. :wink:

ILLUSN
Wed Oct 17, 2007, 01:27 PM
pro 3 is VERY heavy once full of water.

but by far the best filter you can buy

Ben
Wed Oct 17, 2007, 10:34 PM
pro 3 is VERY heavy once full of water.

but by far the best filter you can buy

Very heavy true but has little wheels on the bottom to move around.

They are $$$ but worth every penny!

JamezMan
Thu Oct 18, 2007, 02:14 AM
What happened to Ladyred?

apistodiscus
Thu Oct 18, 2007, 08:56 AM
Don't get a PRO3. Completely over -engineered. Too many gadgets on it and the Thermo ones are worse.
Pro2 is also not the best. I chucked mine out. The water is not forced through the filter baskets and thus through the filter media but can flow around the sides of the baskets. I got sich of stuffing filterwool between the canister wall and the basket.

ILLUSN
Thu Oct 18, 2007, 09:47 AM
i know the pro3e's are having some problems but i wasnt aware of any problems with the 2080 pro3.

is this a major complaint of ireland uk and europe users?

apistodiscus
Thu Oct 18, 2007, 10:14 AM
Seems to be a genral complaint amongst people I know and who have been at fishkeeping for a long time. Even the owner of my LFS thinks they are not worth the hassle and there are misgivings on some forums. The classicals are still the most reliable filters even though they are a bit heavy on electricity. The classics are bulit like tank the Pros like Fiat (Fix it again tomorrow)

ILLUSN
Thu Oct 18, 2007, 10:19 AM
The classics are bulit like tank the Pros like Fiat (Fix it again tomorrow)

LOL love your work!!!!!!

my father in law is a Fiat fan LOL

apistodiscus
Fri Oct 19, 2007, 07:39 AM
my father in law is a Fiat fan LOL

He must be handy with tools then :D

On a more serious note, are Tetratec filters available in Oz? They are great and a lot cheaper than Eheims.
Fluvals are pure rubbish. Bad seals and those ribbed pipes are a royal pain in the rear.

taksan
Fri Oct 19, 2007, 09:42 AM
Don't get a PRO3. Completely over -engineered. Too many gadgets on it and the Thermo ones are worse.
Pro2 is also not the best. I chucked mine out. The water is not forced through the filter baskets and thus through the filter media but can flow around the sides of the baskets. I got sich of stuffing filterwool between the canister wall and the basket.

rubbish ... pro3's are the best cannister filter in the world ...period !
:twisted:

taksan
Fri Oct 19, 2007, 09:44 AM
On a more serious note, are Tetratec filters available in Oz? .

Sure they are ...under their REAL manufacturers name Sun Sun. Typical cheap Chinese cannister filters.

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 19, 2007, 11:01 AM
Hey Marg, good to see you still kicking! Unlike LadyRed unfortunately. She died a few months back. It was a shock to us all! :cry:

You're a very cheeky man Doggie. You know very well I'm still alive and kicking :whip and still cracking the whip :wink:

Marg, I'm very much still around, I've just had a name change :lol: Overnight I changed from Ladyred to Merrilyn, without missing a beat. Pretty neat trick huh?

Now, everyone is going to have a different opinion on filters, but I've used Eheim for the last thrity years, and although I've tried others, I keep coming back to eheim purely for the reliability. They just keep going and going for years without any problems. Taksan likes the Pro 3, and between us we would probably have 20 of them. I absolutely love them but it would be way overkill for a 300 litre tank.

My suggestion would be to go for one of the smaller eheims. They are still powerful and efficient, and easy to service. Have a look at the Pro 2 2026 which comes complete with filter media for a reasonable price.

samir
Fri Oct 19, 2007, 02:03 PM
good to see you around Marg. how have you been ??? was wondering where you were.
the sunsuns are very average, the one with the 11 watt uv / 1500 l/hr (i think) can barely handle a 3x2. they are very easy to clean but a pain to prime.

Robdog
Sat Oct 20, 2007, 08:33 AM
You're a very cheeky man Doggie. You know very well I'm still alive and kicking :whip and still cracking the whip :wink:

:oops: Ohhhhh that was you! :oops:

marg
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 11:37 AM
Hi Merrilyn,

Robdog really gave me a fright when he said you had died - I went looking around the Discus site (all the while wondering what had happened) until I found the bit about your name change, then heaved a huge sigh of relief - Robdog I have renamed you ratbag, you naughty boy!!.

I will have a look for the Pro 2 and see what it says. I just want a Filter that will do a good job and one that is easy to prime, service etc. Liked the sound of the pro 3 because it was on wheels (that would solve the lifting problem) but if you think the Pro 3 would be an overkill I will go with your advice - you having had so much experience with Filters and all.

Yes Samir, I'm still around - don't get to use the Computer a lot for recreation purposes lately, Avon keeps me pretty busy. My fish are all still going really well, just as beautiful as ever.

My old Poodle died in January (he was 15 yrs) and although I said no more dogs I missed him too much, and now have a new baby poodle (she's 6 mths old - born in April, so I have named her "April" - a very fitting name, don't you think?). She was black when I got her but as her adult coat is starting to grow she is looking more like a very dark chocolate. She's just beautiful - a real character!!

Have a new grandaughter as well - Charlotte Alexis - born in July - she's a real sweetie (I'm not at all biased!!) - there is a 9 year difference between Charlotte and Tahlia (my number 1 special grandaughter) but no jealousy whatsoever - Tahlia loves her to bits. She is just starting to laugh when you talk to her and has a real mop of hair.

That's about all that has been happening in my world lately, besides work work work!!.

Hope all of my friends on the Discus Forum are going well. I'll try to get on line more often as I do miss you all. How are Goldenpigeon, Ben and Proteus going?.

love to you all,

marg.

marg
Wed Oct 24, 2007, 09:08 AM
Boy am I fed up.

Tried all of our local Pet Shops and none of them stock Eheims :evil: - I can't believe it considering Eheims reputation - they stock cheaper type Cannister Filters that I don't even want to look at but not Eheims - that's what you get with small Country Towns!!.

My next option is to go online, but I don't know where to start - suggestions anyone?.

As stated, I have a 300 litre tank and need a Filter that is easy to Prime, Maintain etc., which will suit a heavily planted Discus tank. For those of you who know me I live on my own and have health problems so heavy lifting is out !!.

I originally wanted a Pro 3 (the one with the wheels under it) - Merrilyn has suggested a Pro 2 2026 - what do the rest of you think ? and where can I buy Online?

marg.

samir
Wed Oct 24, 2007, 10:04 AM
Try Bec/Wayne at ASA
http://www.aquariumsuppliesaustralia.com.au/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=453

Dee
Wed Oct 24, 2007, 10:07 AM
G'day Marg,

Merrilyn's on the money with the 2026 or even the 2028. I have used both in the past and they have been nothing but a joy to use.

As for online stores to get one from ... ASA would be my first port of call !

Best of luck.

Cheers,

Dee.

ILLUSN
Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:14 PM
I'd go the 2028.
300L is getting towards a bigger tank and the 2026 will be getting towards it biological limit even with its 700L/h flow.

with the 2028 your water quality will be easier to maintain.

I'm sure Bec and Wayne will look after you if you shoot them off a pm at ASA