PDA

View Full Version : A bit of advice please..... substrate, filters...

riverlanddiscus
Sat Oct 13, 2007, 07:15 AM
Hi All,
I have just purchased a great deal (well, I think it is, go ebay!) :D I have a 200x47x40 tank which I'm guessing is about 300litres. It came with a Eheim 2227 filter and a 300 watt heater. I am planning to have a planted tank with no co2 or maybe diy co2. I currently have a 4 foot aquarium with only wisteria and ???who knows the other. The plant are growing well. I have 4 discus of aboout 7cm, 2 rummy noses and 2 orangy cat fish, (sorry, don't know name). There is a 200 watt heater and an internal aquaone filter. I have 2 questions; Is the 300 watt heater and 2227 filter adequate for my large tank tank? I want to use aquarium sand that I already have in my 4foot - obviously adding more- but want to use a substrate under the sand to help plants. Please give me some advice on this.

Th0mas
Sat Oct 13, 2007, 10:28 AM
I would double the heater at least and potentially the filter as well.

riverlanddiscus
Sat Oct 13, 2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks ThOmas,
Thought I may have to use the two 300 heaters and probably both the Eheim filter and my old aquaone. Is it worth putting any other substrate under the sand though? If so, what should I get and where is the best place to get them-I live nearly 4 hours from Adelaide.

ILLUSN
Sun Oct 14, 2007, 12:33 AM
to give your planta a boost try a layer of plant sunstrate under your sand, I'm not sure where your located but if your in OZ ASA is taking prrorders for eco complete, and that would be the way to go. the other option would be to add laterite (hard to do once fiull of water) or just put in a heap of clay ball based fertilizer

watch out for the 2227, it doesn't have any mechanical filtration so make sure you put a sponge guard over the intake or hook up a prefilter for it, even with it and your internal i think your filtration will still be a little weak as your tank is closer to 400L then 300L (376L to be exact).

I'd be investing in a second canister, and i'd be cleaning one every 2 weeks

riverlanddiscus
Sun Oct 14, 2007, 02:50 AM
Decided to sell the 400l tank and concentrate on getting my 4 foot looking great!! Thinking I will need to order eco complete or aquasoil from ASA - but concerned of price with delivery. We looked at a Seachem plant substrate and it was $84.95 for small bag. Is that what I would be looking at?

ILLUSN
Sun Oct 14, 2007, 03:11 AM
flourite is good, onyx sand is also goos but can leach carbonates into your water (i use a bit in my pots to buffer my ph). you'll have add NPK fertilizer to flourite every 4-6 weeks (ecocomplete every 2-3 months)