PDA

View Full Version : After cycling

Aurora
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 08:28 AM
Just wanting to know once I've finished cycling and stopped adding ammonia are 20 cardinals and 10 black widows going to be enough to keep the bacterial levels high enough till I get Discus?

My tank is a 4ft 240L.

ctvu
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 10:47 AM
Just wanting to know once I've finished cycling and stopped adding ammonia are 20 cardinals and 10 black widows going to be enough to keep the bacterial levels high enough till I get Discus?

My tank is a 4ft 240L.

Yes I would think so, but I'm not too sure about tank mates.
HTh

ctvu

Aurora
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 08:00 AM
What do you mean your not too sure about tank mates?

Trebs
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 08:33 AM
How long do you intend to wait? Are you going to get large or small discus to start?

Aurora
Wed Nov 10, 2004, 05:52 AM
If you mean how long am I going to wait for cycling? Its already done. I've been doing it for about 5 weeks.

I am planning on getting a breeding pair.

Which brings me to another question, do you think that if the pair spawned in the tank the cardinals and black widows would bother them/eat the eggs?

Trebs
Wed Nov 10, 2004, 10:14 AM
Yes, tetras are quite partial to caviar. If you intend getting a breeding pair it's not a bad idea to keep them in a community tank while they get used to you and your conditions. Then, once they have shown and interest in spawning they can be moved to a separate tank.

Aurora
Thu Nov 11, 2004, 12:07 AM
Yeah I have another smaller tank. Its about 80L (17.5G), about 2.5ft. Do you think this is big enough.

How big a tank do you think you need for a grow out tank? If you got, say, 50 babies.