PDA

View Full Version : Gold ram fries

eykw
Thu Oct 11, 2007, 01:01 PM
hi everyone. I've been so busy at work that I hardly had time to look after my fishies! My Gold ram pair at work had other ideas and decided to get into business. I first noticed eggs on a driftwood on sat. and then lost sight of them for 5 days. thinking the eggs were eaten. to my surprise. i found some 30~40 babies were swimming with their parents this afternoon! awesome sight!!!

the question is what should i do now? parents are great minding the babies. i;ve moved the other fish into another tank. i've bought some live BBS and fed them a few times before i went home. what sort of food are best for them? ram fries seem to be much smaller than angel fries and only some of them are showing the orange belly. i've also left one of the light on over night...
any advise would be much appreciated!
cheers,
Eric

Th0mas
Thu Oct 11, 2007, 01:41 PM
BBS would be best if they can take them (big enough), but I've heard the new free-swimmers are not bug enough for BBS (I'll soon find out - hopefully).

Alternative is commercial fry food, but these can foul the water if not totally eaten (resulting in fry death). Some people recommends crushed egg yolk but one yolk is too much for a batch of ram fry (and it cannot be kept long).

Sorry - not really helping. But BBS is definitely the best food if they're big enough.

BTW - keep up the good work.

eykw
Thu Oct 11, 2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks Thomas. I've been using a dropper to "parachute" BBS near the area ram fries are swimming. I've noticed that the parents actually love the BBS too! not too many has got orange tummy though. *fingers cross*

fishgeek
Thu Oct 11, 2007, 03:03 PM
i always use microworm as i am too lazy to mess about with hatching brine regulalry

andrew

eykw
Fri Oct 12, 2007, 03:01 PM
Here are some photos i took today! I've counted more than 50 fries still swimming with their parents. I'm only feeding them live BBS cos that's what i've got atm. I've also brought them back home cos I know they will be starved to death by the time I return to work on Monday. *fingers cross* the fries are now taking more BBS compare to yesterday. I can see most of them have got an orange belly :D

fishgeek
Fri Oct 12, 2007, 07:27 PM
congratulatons, if they have orange bellies then they are feeding and that is all that matters

fingers crossed for raising the majority

eykw
Mon Oct 15, 2007, 01:38 PM
I've moved all the fry back home and placed them in a small plastic "tank" floating in my main tank... so far so good. I haven't lost anyone yet :o I am feeding them BBS and Sera Micron (has anyone tried this?), seems to be working well. as usual some tends to be smaller and has less appetite then others. *fingers cross* I am just changing water as often as possible... ie siphoning water out from the container and replace it with water from the big tank. hopefully it will all work out!

Th0mas
Mon Oct 15, 2007, 01:51 PM
It should work fine as I does this many time to when mixing larger fry with new free-swimmers.

As to my rams wigglers - I've given up hope for them already. They went without a trace on the second day after hatch - and so far there's still no trace of them.

Keep up the good work!!

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 15, 2007, 11:53 PM
i got dibs on the first few when they're ready for sale Eric.

eykw
Thu Oct 18, 2007, 09:23 PM
hahaha no worries mate, of course of course. only if they survive though. going away for a week and they are now in the hands of my parents... umm... wish them luck.

eykw
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 01:12 PM
hi ppl, just an update on the gold ram bb. well well they are doing really well and last counted there were more than 60 of them! :shock: all doing well. and it's an awesome sight to watch. i spent hours in front of them. watching them feed etc.

but the bad news is that they are now officially orphans. the parents died a couple of weeks ago of a CO2 OD. it happened at work over a weekend... :cry:

to compensate my lost. i decided to buy another pair of ram!!! check them out!!! they are absolutely amazing. got them from FishRock the other day. absolutely stunning! so fingers cross. and hopefully they will breed soooooon!

gingerbeer01
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 07:21 PM
they are good.

read good

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 15, 2007, 10:09 PM
nice work mate, dont let dad see those fish hell be pounding on your office door till you sell him some blue ram fry as well.

eykw
Thu Nov 22, 2007, 02:10 PM
well well.
good news and bad news
went to work on Mon. found my beloved german blue ram committed suicide and landed on the floor.
then as i was gonna rip the tank apart for my next project... i found the female fiercely guarding a patch of wrigglers!!!
now i think the male was a victim of domestic violence and was pushed by the female.
now 4 days after the incident. the wrigglers are now free swimming and started to eat some BBS. so fingers cross and hopefully they will all grow up to be fine German blue ram!