PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Room for Dwarf Cichlids

Bubbles
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 09:28 AM
Hey all,

How many Cichlid keepers/Breeders would like to access an Emergency Room for Cichlids - as we already have an Emergency Room for Discus.

Anybody care to comment?

Cheers,
Bubbles

samir
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 09:30 AM
thought they were the same thing :P LOL

Bubbles
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 09:38 AM
Hey Samir,

I'm not sure? :oops: I only keep Dwarf Cichlids - would you treat them the same as Discus when it comes to Health problems.

Merrilyn
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 10:52 AM
I think samir means that discus are cichlids too, even though they are a funny round shape, they're still classed as cichlids :D

Any urgent problems with your fish, not just discus, please post in the Emergency Room. That's the place most of the advisors look first, so you're bound to get the quickest response. :P

fishgeek
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 02:52 PM
what merrlyn says

Robdog
Wed Oct 10, 2007, 01:45 AM
By the time I've ever got around to medicating my apisto's it's always been a little too late or never worked. One or the other.

Bubbles
Wed Oct 10, 2007, 03:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses.

I would normally annoy ThOmas for apisto probs, rather than bothering ThOmas I thought it would be good to have a place to go on the Discus Forums.

Thanks to your responses I at least now know I can post my probs in the emergency room for the apisto's - thanks all.

Cheers,
Bubbles aka Karen

Robdog
Wed Oct 10, 2007, 04:07 AM
...or just keep annoying Th0mas :wink: :lol:

Th0mas
Wed Oct 10, 2007, 06:41 AM
I've responded to it - I must say I'm not that good in treating fish myself. Perhaps Andrew may have some better ideas.

Bubbles
Wed Oct 10, 2007, 06:55 AM
You under estimate your talent ThOmas, you have been great support for me in the past.

gingerbeer01
Wed Oct 10, 2007, 07:02 AM
I agree with Robdog - most things I do are to avoid disease cause once it hits there gone before you can do a thing...

Bubbles
Wed Oct 10, 2007, 07:18 AM
I agree with Robdog - most things I do are to avoid disease cause once it hits there gone before you can do a thing...Hey gingerbeer01,

Robgog is a wize man, I have lost a few apiso's due to the fact that it's been to late to treat - mainly with what I call "Bumworm" It's usually to late by the time you notice them.

Cheers,
Bubbles aka Karen :(

Th0mas
Wed Oct 10, 2007, 08:17 AM
These so called "Bumworm" I believe is camallanus. It's quite difficult to detect until the worm has protrude out the anus.

I've had limited success with levamisole, and have found pet's all-wormer also works (but need to soak with live worm before feeding the soaked worm to the fish).

I lost one of my hongsloi female due to this infection, and the male followed soon after (suspect the same cause, but never seen the parasite stick their ugly face out). So far the fry seems to be okay, and they've been confined to their own tank for at least another few weeks/months until I'm satisfied they're not infected (they've been treated with levamisole).

The usual problem with dwarf is their size. By the time you notice of the problem, it's usually at a late stage where treatment is near impossible.

Bubbles
Wed Oct 10, 2007, 10:58 AM
Hey ThOmas,

Yes, BigL/Levamisole....Hmmm..no sucsess with treatment pobably cause it's been to late when treated. BUT when your talking "wild caught" BigL is probably the best to use cause a lot of the other treatments will only work with a neutral PH & above, apparently other treatments lose their effectiveness in low PH...don't quote me on it though - read it somewhere, that's why wild caught fish don't respond to most treatments but the BigL works in low or high PH.