PDA

View Full Version : best schooling fish

luvmydiscus
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 07:03 AM
Hi, can you please tell me your experiences of the best, colorful and hardy tetras you have had in your discus tanks? I am looking for a tetra that schools nicely together and is hardy.

:D

fozziwozzi
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 07:13 AM
My 2 favourites are Cardinals and Rummy nose.

Both in large groups look great!!

weird
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 11:09 AM
any of the tetras ... a group of rummy nose looks spectatular

Proteus
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 11:34 AM
Crazy Congo Tetras

parasite
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 11:47 AM
Cardinals....

wyldchyld01
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:27 AM
love my school of 20 kerri tetra's

Dave76
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:57 AM
My rummynose tetra school (22) very tightly and are constantly swimming up and down the tank all day long - the only time they stop is to eat :)

My lemons (17) only school together when I'm doing gravel vacs etc otherwise they are just scattered all over the tank.

Dave

skoom
Fri Nov 12, 2004, 01:41 AM
can tetras still do well in the warm environments of a discus tank?

kevkoi
Fri Nov 12, 2004, 05:45 AM
I know it's not a tetra, but for tight schooling fish that can tolerate discus temperatures, I recommend harlequin rasboras.

luvmydiscus
Fri Nov 12, 2004, 08:50 PM
Yes, harlequins are just stunning. I recently seen a 20 gal tank setup with just harlequins and what a sight. It was absolutley beautiful.

Are they nippy?

I have a few hanging in there cherrybarbs, cute beatiful fish and they don't bother my angelfish at all. The discus is just fine too but their fins are not as long and flowing as the angel.

:D

jim
Sat Nov 13, 2004, 12:54 PM
what harlequins looks like? any pics??

luvmydiscus
Sat Nov 13, 2004, 09:23 PM
Jim,

Hi,hope I don't get in trouble for this but if you go to www.aquahobby.com click onto gallery, then onto Cyprinids and at the bottom is Harlequin Rasbora there is a beautiful picture of them.

luvmydiscus.... :D

BlackGhost
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 04:46 AM
I would go for rummy nose. They cost a bit more but look the best and school great.

chris
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 05:56 AM
cardinals are nice but everybodys got them,
I saw some Lemon tetras at my local Ill try them when my Cardinals die of...

DIY
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 07:05 AM
Has anyone tried glo-light tertras ?

kevkoi
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 08:33 AM
Glo-lights are notorious nippers. They've also been known to nip plants.... Not my favourite fish.

Here's another cool shoaling fish.....

Puntius denisonii (Denison's flying fox).... Not a fish you will see everyday at your local fish shop! They make Rummy noses look ordinary. :wink:

dreamer
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 08:44 AM
denisonii is cool fish ....but its gonna cost u a bit extra :)

jim
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks luvmydiscus,
I have over a dozen of Harlequin Rasbora in my tank. They are great with discus. Now I finally know what their name is....

nag
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 04:37 PM
Hi All:

Pls don't club Puntius sp. with Discus.
1. They are very fast moving (called Indian Torpedo Fish) and can cause stress on discus.
2. They grow to about 6" in length
3. They eat fine leaved plants
4. They have a tendency to jump out of tank

The above are my personal experience...
These are available to me locally as they are from southern waters of India...

The best so far, IME has been Cardinal and Rummynose (a shoal of 20)...

luvmydiscus
Sun Nov 14, 2004, 08:00 PM
nag, if I cannot get cardinal or rummynose fish here would harlequins be the next best thing?

We can get neons and black neons, but I realize the size is the issue here. I love the neon tetras they are so beautiful. The only time I seen cardinals here they were $7.99 per fish CDN :shock:

A little expensive I would say, but the reason the stores don't have them is they said the water here is the issue and they find them to be quite weak fish compared to the neons.

I agree with the flying fox, nice fish but a bit crazy in a discus tank.

luvmydiscus... :D

ml29
Wed Nov 17, 2004, 06:12 AM
I'll have to agree with the prevous posts. I have a school of 21 rummy nose tetras and a school of 17 red fin tetras (can't remember the name). Only the rummy nose tetras will constantly school. The other tetras will only school when they are scared eg during water changes. I believe that cardinals will also school well. Congo school well but are a little aggressive to go with discus.