Magnificent parents !

And the fry are looking great.

Good luck with them Al.

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 08, 2007, 02:11 AM
let me know when the youngans are up for sale

Robdog
Mon Oct 08, 2007, 02:50 AM
Those parents have awesome shape. Should make for some great offspring.

A1 Aquarium World
Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:43 AM
Allan,
all the best with them,beautiful fish !

scott bowler
Mon Oct 08, 2007, 10:57 AM
Allan they look awesome mate good work , keep us posted hehe how many Albinos are there in that lot hehe can see a few light fry

ozarowana
Mon Oct 08, 2007, 12:39 PM
Very nice Alan. Please keep us updated with how they go.

I think the light fry will be the red cover type and the darker ones will probably turn out like browns. Unless the red cover parent carries an albino allele.

cichlidfan
Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:31 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for all your kind comments.

Scott, there is around 10-12 Albino fry amongst this lot and the rest are intermediate fry.

Ozarowana, the light fry hopefully will the albino variant of the Red Cover and the darker fry will be Red Cover intermediate as the female parent of these fry has the albino gene in her, I lost the male about three months ago.

Regards
Allan

ozarowana
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 02:53 AM
In that case around 50% should be albino... which doesn't look like the case in the pics. Maybe some weaker fry dying off?

nicholas76
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 10:08 AM
u made my night Allan!

great pics,, good to see your leading the pack when it comes to breeding these types in oz.

samir
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 11:44 AM
good to see your leading the pack when it comes to breeding these types in oz.

there are a couple on the forum who hunt alone, out of sight :monkey :lol: :lol:

Good luck with them, Allan. They are such a pain to breed.

nicholas76
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:21 PM
no silent ninjas allowed !!!!! lmao

post your pics now!

samir
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 01:09 PM
no silent ninjas allowed !!!!! lmao

post your pics now!

:lol: :lol: nope.

Alan, I've been banging my head with albinos for what seems like forever. Here's some advice I was given, after annoying a lot of people with stupid questions.
UV'ing the aged water.
Sterile tank each time.
very dim light.
removal of black eggs before hatch.

If I have luck with my latest albino breeding brainwave :roll: , I'll post pics.

dachoo
Fri Oct 12, 2007, 11:48 AM
the light fry hopefully will the albino variant of the Red Cover and the darker fry will be Red Cover intermediate as the female parent of these fry has the albino gene in her, I lost the male about three months ago.

Hi mate, It is nice to see you are breeding some discus. The male would be ALSS, is this combination will give you the Albino Red discus...Keep us updated....very interesting....

DA

dachoo
Fri Oct 12, 2007, 12:02 PM
Alan, I've been banging my head with albinos for what seems like forever. Here's some advice I was given, after annoying a lot of people with stupid questions.
UV'ing the aged water.
Sterile tank each time.
very dim light.
removal of black eggs before hatch.

If I have luck with my latest albino breeding brainwave :roll: , I'll post pics.

Hi Samir

May I ask you the stupid questions now.

The point of UV'ing the age water, this only cut down the mirco in the breeding tank, why with albino?

The effect of dim light, since all the albino & inter color may look almost the same do we still have remove the black eggs?

Removing the black eggs, how are we going to get the intermediate for inproving the strain for the next generation ?

Thank

DA

samir
Fri Oct 12, 2007, 12:32 PM
The point of UV'ing the age water, this only cut down the mirco in the breeding tank, why with albino?

my albino fry were dying. they never reached the free swimming stage. for the few that did, attachment was not a problem. there was planaria attaching to the albino fry at the bottom. i was told to sterilize tank and also tap water with a uv.

The effect of dim light, since all the albino & inter color may look almost the same do we still have remove the black eggs?

i was told not to have very bright lights as they are more sensitive to it and i might have attachment problems. with my brown male i have to remove the black eggs otherwise he eats the albinos no matter what light. i tried blue light, meth blue, dim light and he still eats them.

Removing the black eggs, how are we going to get the intermediate for inproving the strain for the next generation ?

improving strains and next generation is for you, not me. I'll just be happy to get this generation started, then think of improving strains.

with the red pair most of the albino fry are dying before free swimming, with my brown X alenquer pair they dont die, they all attach and soon as they do the male eats them. I haven't seen him eating a single inter fry.

dachoo
Fri Oct 12, 2007, 12:56 PM
Hi Samir

Thank, all the best with all your new found answer ?
As with mine albino lots, the only different I change is breeding them without any filter ( only a colorful air stone ) until they are 4 week old.

DA

samir
Fri Oct 12, 2007, 01:00 PM
I've seen your tank somewhere. hopefully I should get something going soon.

I'm trying a different setup, three tanks, two females, one male :shock: :shock:
keeps things interesting, otherwise breeding discus becomes a bore.

dachoo
Fri Oct 12, 2007, 01:12 PM
come on, you can do better then that .

Just go for 3 tanks , 3 female , 1 male & 3 batch within 6 days...

DA

samir
Fri Oct 12, 2007, 01:14 PM
haha i wish

lee480
Sat Oct 13, 2007, 08:54 AM
Hi Allan,

Pleease let me know when you have those discus for sale.

Cheers,
Lee

Xtreme
Sat Jan 05, 2008, 11:47 AM
Any updates :P

nicholas76
Sat Jan 05, 2008, 12:17 PM
Ive seen these fish first hand. And they are stunners!!