PDA

View Full Version : Discus Tank Size??

Monster Fish Rescue
Sun Oct 07, 2007, 11:53 PM
I've never kept discus but have a good friend who does. His discus are spawning like crazy and he's offered me some to get started.

Here's the question:

I just got a 50 gallon hex and was wondering if it'd be ok for a couple of discus. The tank is 30" tall with an area of about 3 1/3 square feet.

I've also never kept live plants (besides water lettuce) and would like to do so in this tank... any suggestions on that?

Thanks, MFR

Actually, one more question... What should I use for substrate?

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 08, 2007, 01:33 AM
mate that tank isn't ideal for discus, i find the size of the "foot print" of the tank to be more important then the height, at 30" tall you'll need a lot of light to hit the bottom to grow anything other then val and anubis or javafern.

in a tank like that i'd go 3 discus max, but i'd be looking for another tank, sorry.

Monster Fish Rescue
Mon Oct 08, 2007, 10:33 AM
OK, I've got other tanks, what do you suggest?

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:01 AM
something with a big foot print i use 6x2x2's, 4x2x2's, 4'x2'x16" high, 4'x18"x18". i proably wouldn't go any smaller then a 4'x18"x18" and then id stock 5 maybe 6 discus.

Monster Fish Rescue
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:10 AM
Ok, thanks! I posted a similar question, well the same question on a another forum I frequent, and a fellow mod suggest I make a double stand using two of my un used 55's. One on top for the discus, and one on the bottom acting as a sump tank. I also make plywood tanks and could make a 4x2x2 and use one of the 55's as a sump... what do you think?

I'm attempting to practice what I preach.... Do the research, buy the tank, then the fish LOL

We'll see how long I hold out :roll:

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:41 AM
sounds good mate.

If you can, put up a diy post, been a while since someone posted a step by step sump setup.

or a diy plywood tank.

I'm sure heaps of people would be keen to see.

Monster Fish Rescue
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:43 AM
I built my 800.... Would you like a link to the build? It's on another forum.... But yes, I can start a DIY thread.... Once work slows a bit though...

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 02:10 AM
pm sent

Monster Fish Rescue
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 10:51 PM
Ok, so let me throw out another question... Since I'm fairly convinced I'm going to build a tank and sump system for them what size tank and how many discus could I put in it if I planned to do 1/3 water changes weekly? I ask because if I can get away with 1/3 changes weekly that'd be great since every other tank I have is on that scedual. I'll more thank likely just make a box for the sump...

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 09, 2007, 11:39 PM
in your 55 gal, with matching sump i'd go 6 discus (adult size), maybe start with 8 juvis and keep your best 6 when they grow up.

Monster Fish Rescue
Wed Oct 10, 2007, 12:29 AM
Hmmm ok....

ILLUSN
Wed Oct 10, 2007, 03:53 AM
Sorry mate 1 fish per about 50L-60L is a good stocking level for less maintenance, i keep about 1 per 40L but i do twice weekly water changes of about 30-40%

Monster Fish Rescue
Wed Oct 10, 2007, 10:50 PM
Oh no, six is fine for me, I may go with five... I advertise for him on my website so he's going to throw some at me to get started... I'm just trying to learn as much as possible before I get them...