PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tankmates

Dave76
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 03:53 AM
In my 8x2x2 planted there is currently

6 Discus
22 Rummy nose tetras
17 Lemon tetras - I found a baby one about 3 weeks old on the w/e who was born & survived the community tank :P
10 Panda Corydoras
3 Bristlenose catfish

I will be adding another 6 discus when I have some more $$ available along with maybe a school of Sterbai Corys as well.

Just looking for ideas on another interesting tankmate or two that others may have had success with in their Discus tanks. :)

Dave

luvmydiscus
Mon Nov 08, 2004, 07:01 AM
Sounds nice, could you post a picture of your tank?

:D

Dave76
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 03:34 AM
Here are some average pics of my tank - will update with better pics once I get my camera back.

Took three pics left to right to show a bit more detail. - I added some pics of the Discus into the Photo Album board as well.

Dave

luvmydiscus
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 04:37 AM
Nice tank, do you mind me asking how many watts of lights you have and what kinds of bulbs are they?

Also what types of plants in there?

How do you find the panda cory's. Many say not to get them, why?

:D

Dave76
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 06:48 AM
There are five 4 ft fluros over the right hand side of the tank - 3 are grolux, 2 are cool white. On the left there are four 3 ft fluros - 2 grolux & 2 cool white which works out about 300w.

I'm not the greatest with the plant names and such but if you point out which ones you want names of I will see if I can help, otherwise others may be able to help out.

I lost 2 pandas initially, but the rest all appear to be doing ok - eating lots, active etc. I think the main reason most are against pandas is because they don't like high water temps, but I only keep my tank at between 27 & 29 deg. I tried getting my hands on other Cories which don't mind the warmer temps, but unfortunately that appears to be mission impossible.

Regards

Dave

Trebs
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 07:31 AM
Could go with:

Blue Rams (2 - 5) - quarantine first (quarantine everything but especially these guys - are a little more likely to have fungus and the like than other fish)

Congo tetras - (2 males to each female) would look great in your sized tank which is big enough so the congo's won't bother the discus.

Cardinals - classic.

Lemon Tetras

Prisilla Tetras

Otto's

chris_d
Tue Nov 09, 2004, 08:38 AM
Looks Great, love the drift wood. a bit blurry though. post up some more pics when you get your cam back

Jonesy
Thu Nov 11, 2004, 01:21 AM
what about peppermint bristlenose and Puntius denisonii i have six of these in my tank with 10 discus in it thay are grate very rare and a little expensive.. thay are a schooling fish as well..... sls have them on specal at the moment if u by six

Dave76
Thu Nov 11, 2004, 01:41 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I like the blue rams idea - might have to see if I can track some down.

I've got cardinals & prisillas in another tank already - lemons already populate this tank :)

I think I'm about the only one who doesn't really like the look of the peppermints, - go figure....

I'll have a look into the Puntius they look quite interesting.

The wood is actualy two pieces - the one on the left is a big mallee root, while the right is from an old dead tree we chopped down a few years ago.

Regards

Dave