PDA

View Full Version : help me aquascape my discus tank...please

Andy123
Thu Oct 04, 2007, 12:04 PM
hi all
i hav a 45gallon/165L (84 LONG x 44 WIDE x 59 TALL cm)discus display planted tank and i would like to re-aquascape it soon
i would like it to look really amazonian(eg plants readily available from lfs that are also commonly found in the amazon). i hav diy co2, add flourish excel weekly and hav approx 1.6wpg of light off the top of my head(which is low light).
fish in the tank will be discus, neons, cory, bristlenose and maybe some kuhlis(i know they are a lil out of place in this tank tho). i will prob be doin 2 wc per week instead of 1.

could you all give me some suggestions on the plants i could use and the layout of the tank. i would like a variety of plant and colour.

also atm i hav one of those backrounds with pics of plants and rock etc on it...do u think changing it to black, dark blue or light blue at top moving to dark blue down the bottom(layers of water) would look better.

cheers

Andy123
Fri Oct 05, 2007, 12:12 AM
????

Andy123
Fri Oct 05, 2007, 12:13 AM
????

ILLUSN
Fri Oct 05, 2007, 01:32 AM
with that light go for amazon swords (E.blehei, E.amazonicus) for the back of the tank (maybe one of each). also maybe something like E.ozolet green or E.green flame for the sides. although not biotype correct your next best plants would be anuabis, javaferns, java moss. all atttached to oots of drift wood/mangrove roots. you should also add some Val up the back between the swords and driftwood. maybe a few floating plants for nutrient control such as giant duckweed or ricca, you'll have to thin these weekly..

thats about all you can do with 1.6w/gal.

Andy123
Fri Oct 05, 2007, 04:38 AM
for the whole tank there is 70watts i think off the top of my head.

I am thinking of putting in a "canyon" in the tank. Any thoughts?

ILLUSN
Fri Oct 05, 2007, 12:52 PM
dont watse the tank space, they look better in something like a 4x2x2 or even better in a 4x2x2.5(wide). get a nice back wall of tall plants and it will look awesome.

Andy123
Sat Oct 06, 2007, 01:40 AM
unsure of wot u mean by the layout...can u explain or give me a pic that shows this...thanks

By the Way.....

I saw the "CANYON" idea on the following website. It is a 2fter 70L tank.
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2006.cgi?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=1&id=14
I think it looks really good. Your thoughts?

ILLUSN
Thu Oct 25, 2007, 07:25 AM
Sorry mate i thought you ment the"canyon" latex rock background from universal habitats