PDA

View Full Version : jebo uv steriliser

gypsy3
Mon Oct 01, 2007, 10:44 AM
hi all....does anyone have an opinion on the jebo 36W uv? i've seen one on ebay for 200 bucks and seeing that's about my limit, was just wondering if its a good brand. also, can someone clarify this for me:- i have an aqua one 2400 canister filter. would the water flow be too strong to hook up the uv to this? if so, can someone tell me the best way to go reasonably cheaply? it's a 6x2 tank.

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 01, 2007, 12:00 PM
I have 3 36w jebo uv sterilizers, you can get them on ebay for $110 (with postage).
the hosetails break alot so replace them every 6 months when you replace the globe (plastic isn't uv stabilised).
also keep an eye on the seeling ringes, they'
re low grade silicone.

to hook mine up to my 2400 i used a reducing T piece 25/34mm to 12/16mm (eheim part number EH4007990) bout $11, then i just used a wide mouth jet pipe (part number EH4004700)

gypsy3
Mon Oct 01, 2007, 12:07 PM
thanks illusn ....ummmm, what's a wide mouth jet pipe?so both the t's and the jet pipe will configure to the aqua one?. i gotta admit, i'm a little confused here :)

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 01, 2007, 12:28 PM
sorry mate i should have been clearer.
the 36w jebo unit has a max flow rating of 550L/hour (? i got no idea how they got that number when their 9w unit has the same flow rate).
the aquis 2400 moves about 1150L/hour.
so to send half the flow through the uv i used a "t" on the output hose of the 2400. as the hose tails take 12,16 and 20mm hoses i used the biggest i could find at my LFS (happened to be the eheim part)
This ment i have 2 outlets into the tank, one is the 2400 spray bar on the origional hose and the other is the widemouth jet on about 2 foot of 16/22mm hose (the wide mouth jet cheeper then the 2400 spary bar $12.50 v's $25).

I cant get pics of the aquis 9too dark and behind all the extinguishers and small tanks, but i used a similar setup on my eheim pro 3 (2080). can put up some pics if you like.

godprint
Tue Nov 06, 2007, 08:55 AM
hi Illusn,

i don't quite understand the part where u mentioned flowrate difference...

with the uv jebo working @ 550L/hr, and the cannister @ 1150L/hr,

i should slow down the output of the cannister to satisfy 550L/hr in order for the water to be properly sterilized?

thanks!
please advice

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 06, 2007, 09:52 AM
yep, the uv will only actually "sterilise" (kill most unicellular organisums and some macro paracites) at a flow rate of about 1w/20L of flow.
So theoretically a 36w uv sterilizer needs a MAXIMUM flow of 720L to be usefull.

Jebo rate their unit as only good for 550L/h. as the aquis 2400 has a flow of about 1150-1200L/h you'll have to either.
A) reduce the flow (BAD IDEA)
B) split the flow (so as some water flows into the uv and some bypasses the UV).

this way you're stil getting full flow through your tank (and the filter is working at maximum efficiency and capacity) whil still getting the most out of your UV.

heres a pic of a 36w jebo on my Ehiem pro 3. the pro 3 has a flowrate of about 1200L/hour. here the output is "T'd" so as the flow from the filter runs the UV and a fluid bed filter which feeds into a CO2 reactor. water either passes through the UV and onto the spray bar or through the fluid bed filter and into the CO2 reactor.

as the CO2 rteactor uses 9mm hoses I plumbed in a shut off tap so as i can direct more water to the reactor and less to the spray bar.

The aquis install is simpler and all you'd need to do is connect
from output to "T" (reducing "T" piece)
from small side of T to UV then from uv to tank via spray bar or jet pipe
from big side of T to spray bar.

as the small side is smaller it has more resistance and so less water will flow through it. if you wanted to "tune" it to perfection you could install a shut off tap after the T on the spray bar side (NOT UV SIDE) and use it to controle how much water went through the UV and how much through the spray bar.

gypsy3
Tue Nov 06, 2007, 12:06 PM
illusn, your (or anyone else who cares to comment) opinion on this please. iended up buying a 2000l/h internal powerhead to hook up to my 36w uv.in your opinion, what would the ACTUAL flow rate of this be? it has a sponge filter attached, which i clean once a week. my problem is knowing what the real flow rate is, so i can turn the tap to adjust flow rate accordingly. Dunno much at all about this stuff, but i would imagine the flow rate would be pretty much at maximum wouldn't it, seeing as its downhill all the way to the uv? it comes out of the outlet pretty slowly, but i guess this has nothing to do with the rate into the uv, given that it has to push the water back up about 1.5 metres

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 06, 2007, 12:34 PM
the only way your going to know is to get a length of hose the same as what your going to use in the tank and measure the rate that water comes out of it.
time how long it takes to fill a 10L bucket. from that you can work out how may Liters it flows per minute and then how many per hour.1.5m is probably getting to the limit of the limit of the pump, you might be able to run it at full speed.