PDA

View Full Version : New discus not eating

theonetruepath
Mon Oct 01, 2007, 12:30 AM
I bought two 5cm discus on Saturday. They look perfectly happy and healthy although they are a bit lost in my 1000-litre tank. Also maybe a bit outnumbered by rainbows and other small harmless fish.

BUT they aren't eating anything. They ignore frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp and everything else I've put in. I suspect their time at the LFS was not ideal, although it wasn't very long.

Does anyone have some tips & tricks about how to get them interested in food?

I'm doing daily 10 to 20% water changes with half RO half filtered tap water.

They are about as small as you can buy them in a LFS, which may be contributing to their shyness.

ILLUSN
Mon Oct 01, 2007, 08:48 AM
they might still be settling in, maybe try leaving the light off for a day to help them adjust, then try feeding, if need be try some live brineshrimp, also rainbows are very fast active fish, they might be out compeating the discus for food.

spyderpig
Mon Oct 01, 2007, 09:13 AM
you might wanna add one or two more discus... and feed them the next day (time for setteling), 3 or 4 discus in the tank can give a little more confidence to the group. (been there)

theonetruepath
Wed Oct 03, 2007, 01:41 AM
Thanks guys good advice.

I left the MH lights off yesterday and will again today. Meanwhile one of them (pic added) started eating, and the other looks vaguely interested. Both are much less nervous too.

Also I'm sourcing some friends for them ASAP.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z17/theonetruepath/DSC_9739CALsmall.jpg

ILLUSN
Wed Oct 03, 2007, 01:45 AM
they are tiny mate, i find small discus like that really hard to grow up (i now dont usually buy anything smaller then 3 inch).

try to get them onto some beefheart mix to bulk them up.

did you try some live brineshrimp?