PDA

View Full Version : upgrading to larger tank

Lurch47
Sun Sep 30, 2007, 11:27 AM
Hi all :D i am in the proccess of upgrading my tanks. I have just purchased an aqua one aquience 1800 to replace my existing 4ft tank. Would really like to make the new tank look awesome, planted etc but need some help.
I will be using 1 eheim pro 3 filter with this tank and the existing lighting 8 bulbs in total. Would like some advice on best plants to use etc, Already have a few pieces of bogwood from existing tank and will be using sand as the substrate. I have been looking at a few of the online plant sellers any opinions on their preset discus collections? Also would it be safe to introduce fish into new tank if i used all old water and had old filter (rena xp3) running alongside new filter to help with maturing etc. All advice greatly appreciated.

ILLUSN
Sun Sep 30, 2007, 11:39 AM
if you can use the old water and the old filter stocking with fish will be fine, but dont stock heavy maybe 4-5 medium discus.
Be sure to let your pro3 run for a full month or even 2 before you remove the old filter. a pro 3 will be fine for a 6 footer.

pick plants that like a high temp for a discus tank, if your looking at swords go for E.bleheri, E.red flame, E.ozolet (and its derivatives), E.devile eye, E.red devil. tiger lotus will handle the temps well. make sure you put in a fair few bunches of fast growing sponge plants like wysteria, blue stricta ludwiga etc.

if your using sand as a substrate, add some laterite to the bottom or something like dulpa ground or JBL ?aquabasics? just to give the plants some root food.

with 8 tubes i assume your using 2 banks of 4 tubes over the surface so i assume they are 30w t8's?

if they are then you have 240w of light over your tank, you'll need a minimum of 2w/4L of water to grow low light plants, for higher light plants (like the red swords listed above) you'll need atleast 3w/4L and CO2.

Lurch47
Mon Oct 22, 2007, 07:52 PM
Ok tank is up and running got a few plants from local shop but selection was not great. Have uploaded photo to gallery, any ideas what the two tone green plant is on the mid right? Any remarks from improvement greatly appreciated.

apistodiscus
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 07:34 AM
Ok tank is up and running got a few plants from local shop but selection was not great. Have uploaded photo to gallery, any ideas what the two tone green plant is on the mid right? Any remarks from improvement greatly appreciated.

Can't see any pictures in your gallery. Anyoldhow, here's a few plants that will be OK in a discus tank.

Echinodorus belheri, E. quadricostatus, E. cordifolius, E. angustifolia, E.schlueteri. A lot of sources also recommend E. tenellus but IMO it's just a dirt magnet and bits of uneaten food gets stuck in between the runner plants and you'll get black algae.

Java fern and moss is fine. Anubias will do OK,
Giant Vallis, onion plants, Hygrophilia polysperma are also fine.

Lurch47
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 12:20 PM
oops sorry photo is in the discus tank setups in the gallery sorry bout that

apistodiscus
Tue Oct 23, 2007, 01:02 PM
Ok, got it now.
The green and white varigated plants on the right hand side are not aquatic plants. Remove asap or else they'll start rotting. Slap dealer with them and tell him to give you proper aquatic plants :D

There are numerous mail order companies in the UK that have a great selection. Personally I have never ordereed from them because my LFS is pretty decent when it comes to plants but Javaplants and Greenline come highly recommended by folks in my aquatic society

Lose the spraybar. Too much surface movement to keep CO2 levels at levels that are conducive to plants growth.
When arranging an aquascape always remember the rule of thirds. Never have the main focus point in the middle of your tank. You would definetly benefit from putting a few terraces in.
try here http://www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,28/func,view/id,11054/catid,45/ and follow the link in the post