PDA

View Full Version : Using crushed coral to stabilise pH

pla
Sat Sep 29, 2007, 01:54 AM
Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how much crushed coral to raise the kh in my tank to a level that would stabilise the pH and what level of kh is required for a stable kh (i think it is about 4).

the reason for this is my tap water (Melb, SE subs) is very soft with kh and gh readings of 1-- <1. My pH out the tap is around 7 and drifts down to less than 6 which becomes a problem when doing a large water change, I'd like to stabilise it at around 6.5.

Merrilyn
Sat Sep 29, 2007, 03:35 AM
It's going to depend on the volume of water.

I have the same problems, as I live in the eastern suburbs too.

Try putting a cup full of crushed coral in a bag near the outlet of your filter, and see what that does.

Unfortunately there's no hard and fast rule. It's a matter of trial and error.

ILLUSN
Sat Sep 29, 2007, 04:28 AM
i use 2 table spoons per 100L of tank volume in a canister filter when i use rain water (kh=0)

samir
Sat Sep 29, 2007, 05:02 AM
i use a teaspoon for 200 litres. my tap water is 0kh. it has a negative effect on breeding, lower frequency and hatch rates.

fishgeek
Sat Sep 29, 2007, 07:25 AM
how the hell do you get such pure water doen there?

dont the pipes corroded really quickly with such soft water?
water like that makes me want to fly back, lay on the beach for a bit and the get some tanks going

envious and cold in england

axl
Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:04 PM
Hi,
where do you get crushed coral from as i have the same problem. Very sofy water here kh of 1. What sort of bags do you mean Merrilyn. Cheers

tzwms
Wed Oct 03, 2007, 03:54 PM
If you can't get coral, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda here in the US) will do the same thing. Should be able to get it at your market. Jusrt make sure it is 100% sodium bicarbonate without any other additives.

HTH :)

ILLUSN
Wed Oct 03, 2007, 11:48 PM
how the **** do you get such pure water doen there?

I used rain water, good stuff!

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 04, 2007, 03:46 AM
Andrew - I just turn on the tap. It comes out of the tap like that :)

Axl Crushed coral, shell grit or oyster shell will all do the same thing. They simply add calcium back to the water. Any shop that sells marine fish will have coral fragments, or if nothing close, a pet shop will have shellgrit. As for a bag, the leg from a pair of pantyhose makes an ideal bag. Have a talk to the wife or girlfriend :wink: