PDA

View Full Version : PH down - which brand?

zar
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 10:19 PM
Hi all,

just wondering what people use for adjusting ph. What is a good and cheap option?

ILLUSN
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:52 PM
i use HCl that i get from work, i've also used acid buffer by seachem with good results.

phosphoric acid is what most buffers use.

BigBlue
Sat May 10, 2008, 01:16 AM
Acid buffer from Seachem all the way

scott bowler
Sat May 10, 2008, 02:46 AM
i use the seachem too

actinicblue
Wed May 14, 2008, 09:18 AM
co2 injection is keeping the ph in my 125 gal down to 6.2-6.5 :lol: not to mention the healthier plants too. It used to be around 7.5 to high 8's!
fishes were not happy and plants were dying :x :D

actinicblue
Wed May 14, 2008, 09:23 AM
co2 injection is keeping the ph in my 125 gal down to 6.2-6.5 :lol: not to mention the healthier plants too. It used to be around 7.5 to high 8's!
fishes were not happy and plants were dying :x :D

vyberman
Wed May 14, 2008, 05:23 PM
I dont use the ph down type stuff. I use waterlife's ph 6.5 buffer.

From what i can understand, ph down additives are acids, the more you add the lower it goes (to a point)
Whereas an actual buffer holds it stable at the stated PH.
It dosent matter if your waters PH is higher or lower than the target PH. A buffer will raise or lower the PH once there is enough of it in there.

I may be wrong about the above statement, if i am then i am open and willing to be corrected :)

My planted tanks display the same PH first thing in the morning as they do at night, regardless of the co2/oxygen prodution of the plants.

glamgirl
Wed May 14, 2008, 11:42 PM
I also use the seachem acid buffer

AHC
Fri May 16, 2008, 02:34 AM
Ive used Discus Buffer which was phosphate based but only used this is a bare tank. Then i threw some plants in so had to change to a non phosphate buffer. This is where the acid buffer comes in like a charm if you want to use buffers. I went straight to hydrochlric acid though. Its cheap from bunnings.