PDA

View Full Version : Sump v Canister

n5762715
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 12:11 PM
Hey everyone,
I am new to the discus aquarium setup. I am setting up a 4x2x2 tank with a co2 system, uv sterilizer and all that. I am looking through setups and I am wondering whether a canister like fluval fx5 or similiar would be alright or whether I need to head towards a sump for this setup. I just am getting confused with how to setup the sump filter and all that. Opinions on this matter would be appreciated. Also pics of your sumps would be awsome so I can get an idea of what I need to setup and that.
Thanks
Chris

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 21, 2007, 03:22 AM
For me it's canisters every time. I have a 7 x 3 tank and a 10 x 2.6 and they both have eheim canisters.

I find they work perfectly, never any ammonia reading and no gurgling sound of the sump.

Just my opinion, but at the moment I'm running five Eheim Pro 3s plus sundry smaller eheims on various tanks, and they never give me any trouble. On the other hand, the FX5s have not been quite as trouble free, and the big AquaOne filters have both gone through two impellers each in the last 18 months.

n5762715
Fri Sep 21, 2007, 04:00 AM
Thanks Merrilyn,
Yeah I like the idea of being able to hide various things using a sump but as I have never used one they seem like a lot of work compared to a canister. Exactly what eheim one would you recommend to run my entire 4x2x2 tank?
Also what selection of media is good for discus as I am only really use to keeping Africans.

I have a few other questions as well - haha sorry for being a hassle I just want to have this tank setup perfectly set out before I go and buy all my gear.
What heater do you use, like brand? And also do you have any tips on hiding the gear from the canister? The spray bar and that just looks a bit ugly.
Cheers
Chris

Davo
Thu Sep 27, 2007, 12:51 PM
I have a planted 4x2x2 tank and I have a Eheim 2228 and 2215 running. They both work great. You never hear them and in my opinion you cannot buy a better brand. I use Eheim noodles, Substrat Pro and either eheim filter pads or filter wool from Spot light (heaps cheaper).

I use a Hydor external 300w heater that is connected to the output of the 2215. It works well and the temp never moves.

Regarding the intake and output hoses and pipes etc you can either hide them behind plants/wood etc or buy the hugely expensive ADA glass products.

Dave.

Robdog
Sat Sep 29, 2007, 12:50 AM
or buy the hugely expensive ADA glass products.

Dave.

Or just find a regular glassblower and get them to knock some pieces together for you. Speaking of blowers, where is Wickedglass these days? :ug