PDA

View Full Version : Free plants

ILLUSN
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 06:52 AM
G'day all gave the tank another prune and got more free cuttings to give away, (I know Wayne, I should turn down the CO2) not as many as last time so its strickly first come fist served PICK UP ONLY!

Red Ludwigia: Ludwigia repens 5-6 healthy thick stems up to 25cm long

Needle leaf Ludwigia: Ludwigia arcuata lots of this a good couple of bunches up to 25cm long

Blue Stricta: ?Hygrophila Stricta? 4 stems 10-20 cm long very thick and healthy

Temple: ?Hygrophila corymbose? lots of this great sponge plant for excess nitrates.

Rotala wallichii: a bit of this around 6-8 long stems 30cm+ lots of smaller stems with good growth bout 12-18cm

Greater Duckweed: Spirodela polyrhiza this is NOT COMMON DUCKWEED Lemna minor which i believe has been declared a weed by some councils. this plant grows at about 1/4 to 1/3 the speed of common duckweed and is double to 4x the size with deep red/purple undersides. Excellent food sorce for tetras and rainbows, EXCELLENT nutrient sponge.

PM me if interested

samir
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:56 AM
Greater Duckweed: Spirodela polyrhiza this is NOT COMMON DUCKWEED Lemna minor which i believe has been declared a weed by some councils. this plant grows at about 1/4 to 1/3 the speed of common duckweed and is double to 4x the size with deep red/purple undersides. Excellent food sorce for tetras and rainbows, EXCELLENT nutrient sponge.

googled some pics. does this stuff float on the surface ? will it survive a 30 degree tank ?

ILLUSN
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 12:24 PM
does this stuff float on the surface ? will it survive a 30 degree tank

yeah mate it floats mine grows at 32 degrees C (busted cheep heater), sorry i couldn't get a good photo of the undersides of the leaves, they've got a really nice deep pruple color to them.
As you can see from the pics, I got HEAPS of it. so much so its starting to die back a bit.

ILLUSN
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 12:32 PM
couple more photos all photo are off the plants in the tank. Yes it needs a prune REAL BAD!

all plants except the temple and Rotala wallichii are growing at 30 degrees C.

eykw
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 02:52 PM
pm sent :-)

XPLOSV
Fri Sep 21, 2007, 05:04 AM
pm send mate

ILLUSN
Fri Sep 21, 2007, 05:21 AM
Thanks everyone.
This lot of plants is done I've contacted the people who'll be collecting them.

should have more up for grabs in another month or 2.
Jothy

Dan`
Sat Sep 22, 2007, 12:07 PM
i know it may be a pain in teh ass, but the red ludwigia and the blue stricta look awesome. i havent seen any of that around adelaide. id i DD'd ya some money for a post pack would you rap some in some damp news paper and overnite some over?

whats the big red leaf one in those pics? that looks great too

fish_r
Sat Sep 22, 2007, 12:21 PM
if Illusion doesnt want to send em, there is a popular shop on Anzac h/way that always has the stricta and ludwigia in stock.

fish_r
Sat Sep 22, 2007, 12:22 PM
also if u want some tiger lotus "the plant with the big red leafs" let me know.

ILLUSN
Sun Sep 23, 2007, 02:29 AM
Nice try Rob
that red plant is Nymphea rubra "Malay red lotus"
Nymphea zenkeri (red) "red tiger lotus" has some red+ green/brown blotching on the leaves and multiplies by runners and seed.

I got no idea how Nymphea rubra propogates?

Dan` mate the ammount it would cost to express some stems over to you, you'd be better off buying it local, it wont cost you more then $5 a bunch and it'll be $7 to express post it, thats why they're pick up only and free. sorry mate.

if ever your in syd drop buy and you can have what ever cuttings you want.

ILLUSN
Sun Sep 23, 2007, 02:44 AM
heres a pic of the 2 plants
Nymphea rubra has much larger "goats head" shaped leaves which are thicker then Nymphea zenkeri has rounder smaller leaves with green brown and purple thought them on a reddy base. the plant in the pic is about a year old and ha about 16 juvis on different runners almost big enough to pot up.