PDA

View Full Version : Water Drum - How to get rid of smell

TW
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 10:29 AM
I've bought a 2nd hand food grade water drum that previously held pickles. It has been cleaned, but still has a smell. Reluctant to use it while the smell is there, in case it makes the water smelly for my discus.

Has anyone got any tips for getting rid of the smell?

Thanks heaps in advance.

fiftycal
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 10:46 AM
My drums still smell, but not as badly as they originally did.

The smell is probably permanent, but it doesnt affect the water

fish_r
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 11:09 AM
i use a picle drum too, all i did was fill it with water and add two boxes of bicarb soda left it for 2 days them emptied it and washed it well with clean water and used it and all is good, it had a bit of a smell for a few days, but now u can hardly smell it. i dont use the lid for now till the smells all gone. it never affected my fish @ all.

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 01:21 AM
Leaving it open and in full sunlight for a week should help a lot with removing the smell.

TW
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 02:15 PM
thanks all. It's out in the back yard, with 2 packs of bi carb, filled with water. Not much sun around today though :roll:

I didn't realise how heavy this sucker would be filled with water. Don't know if I'll be able to follow through with my plan of wheeling the filled drum around on my trolley. Don't think I can budge it all, even on a trolley :x

fish_r
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 02:30 PM
if it's the same as mine ur looking around 220-250kg when full of water "too heavy to move around"