PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and have an aggressive discus

rdegree
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 06:55 PM
I'm new to the forum and have joined because I have a discus that appears to be in trouble. I have a 55 gallon tank with 3 discus (Silver Turq., a Cobalt, and a Red Turq) all are approx. 3" in size. I've had these fish since March of this year. In the past few weeks my Red Turq has turned VERY aggressive against my Cobalt (which happens to be amazingly stunning and my personal favorite of the three)! This fish is CONSTANTLY chasing the Cobalt around the tank; the Cobalt has nip marks on it's side, also it's bottom fin has been chewed up pretty good. Last night they were slapping each other with their tales, going nose to nose, etc. So although my Cobalt is fighting back I'm still very concerned about losing him; I've grown quite attached to it! Any advice on how I can help this situattion would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for your time and any advice you can offer.

ILLUSN
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 11:34 PM
Try putting in another discus or 2 to share the aggression around.

try re-scaping the tank to redefine any teritory that the red turk thinks it has.

samir
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 10:53 AM
you could put the aggressor in another tank, rearrange the original tank, wait till the cobalt recovers, then put the other fish back in.