PDA

View Full Version : FS: Pterophyllum altum's " Orinoco wild caught"

Amazing Amazon
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 10:22 AM
We will have a small number of Altums in this friday!

Stay tuned for photo's!

$140 ea

8-)

Merrilyn
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 05:30 AM
Now that's very interesting :P

Can't wait to see some photos.

taksan
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 07:49 AM
All died ....

Ben
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 10:13 AM
Unfortunately they died in quarantine.

A big loss...

samir
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 10:50 AM
are these the bayfish ones ? does that mean they don't have any left ?

Ben
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 11:39 AM
correct, all kapoot!

samir
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 11:45 AM
did they die at bayfish ? thats very unfortunate :(, i was seriously thinking of getting some.

discus_man
Wed Sep 19, 2007, 11:48 AM
no not even one died at bayfish i was told by them that not even one died..

taksan
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 12:15 AM
All died at Bayfish

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 12:59 AM
It appears they managed to survive the 2 week quarantine period, but all died after being removed from quarantine and transferred into holding tanks at Bayfish.

Not sure where you got your information from discus-man but this information came directly from Bayfish to a shop they were supposed to supply with altums, so it's obviously accurate.

Rod
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 01:14 AM
Pet City has some "True" Altums....$140 each...I think?

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 01:32 AM
That's very possible Rod. Bayfish aren't the only importers of altums.

I think Pet City are in Brisbane, aren't they?

Rod
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 02:58 AM
Yes Merrilyn.....They are at Mt Gravatt....Brisbane. :D

Ben
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 04:46 AM
Bayfish is an excellent company. The Altums come through Germany and were quarantined in Bayfish quarantine facility in QLD. After the 2 weeks they went into their holding tanks but were still kept quarantined before they were to be sold. This is where they died.

I personally appreciate bayfish's way they go about fish and look forward to them setting up their new facility in Melbourne.

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 05:37 AM
It's a very sad loss Ben. I think a lot of people were looking forward to getting some altums from this shipment.

Such a shame to get them this far, through quarantine in Germany and shipping and more quarantine in Aus only to have them die at the final moment.

A real tragedy and I know Bayfish would have done everything possible to ensure their survival.

BT Gunner
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:29 AM
do you know if they were wild ones or tank bred?

samir
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 11:41 AM
wild

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 01:10 PM
We don't get tank bred altums in Australia.

BT Gunner
Fri Sep 21, 2007, 04:24 AM
once before a fish shop owner told me he gets tank bred ones from germany, so when i went to pick it up, his partner told me its wild caught!

thats sales for you these days!
anything to make a buck!

Merrilyn
Fri Sep 21, 2007, 06:36 AM
Such a shame that shops feel the need to tell tall tales about their fish. I've heard it before, unfortunately.

The truth of the matter is that we do not get the german tank bred altums in Australia. This information has come direct from the guy who breeds them. He can't keep up with the orders from USA and Japan, where they command very big prices. He has never shipped to Australia - ever - and has no intention of doing so in the near future, which is bad luck for us.

ILLUSN
Fri Sep 21, 2007, 06:41 AM
I'm sure you'll have plenty of Aussie tank bred altums for us in due time Merrilyn.

Ben
Fri Sep 21, 2007, 10:21 AM
I agreee!

Hurry up mez!

ozarowana
Fri Sep 21, 2007, 03:38 PM
That's bad news. I know of people's discus that have caught things after leaving quarantine. They do great in quarantine and then get exposed to something in the transport water back to the importers premises.

I have read that altums aren't handled the best at the point of capture. They are treated like cardinals apparently... shipped numerous individuals to a bag. I guess it's to save on shipping, whereas wild discus are looked after better due to the higher price tag. Apparently some years are better than others too.

Altums retail here for around $90-140, but I have been quoted around $700 for top quality wild curiperas etc.