PDA

View Full Version : weaken discus

nickpet
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 08:51 AM
hi guis,
i had had three discus for 6 years now. two months ago one of them suddenly began to weaken without any other sighn of illness. his tail was like it had been eaten. i tried therapy with melafix but there were no sighn of improvement. after one month he died. now the second one is in the same condition.
what is your advice? may the problem be caused by their age?or they have any kind of internal infection?

best regards
nick

250liters tank, 28degrees cilsios,gh 100ppm, every second day 10% of water change

ILLUSN
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 04:11 AM
I'd be thinking internal parracites, have you tried worming them?

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 20, 2007, 06:21 AM
Welcome to the forum nickpet.

It's very sad to lose a fish after 6 years.

I guess discus do die of old age, and age related diseases but 6 years is not really an "old" fish. It could have already been a couple of years old before you got him, so that could make him 8 or even 9 years old, and then a death from old age is certainly a possibility.

Try worming them as ILLUSN has suggested, unless this is something you normally do on a regular basis.

The other thing I'd try, is to increase the amount of the water you change. I'd suggest 30% every second day, and see if that makes a difference.

Also try a change of diet, and adding some fish vitamins to the food. It all may help.

Good luck.

nickpet
Tue Sep 25, 2007, 06:09 AM
thanks guys for your advices.
the second discus is dead.
i have now only one. i will change the water changing schedule. every day 10%. the food i use is tetradiscus food, discus vitalise food, freesing discusfood of an holland company.

thanks a lot

we will be in touch
nick

madasa
Tue Sep 25, 2007, 08:53 AM
Were there any other symptoms ... I have discus plague in my head as a possibility.

I think I would treat the tank prophylactically with aquarium salt and metro at this point as I believe you still have the one remaining.

Pete

nickpet
Tue Sep 25, 2007, 02:37 PM
hi ,
no other symptom at all. just became very weak and dark. the first one wasn't upright the last week of his life, it was slanting. the second one had not this kind of problem its swimming was ok until his last day.
that are all symptoms.

what do you mean by "metro at this point as I believe you still have the one remaining. " ?

best regards
nick