PDA

View Full Version : my DISCUS is acting STRANGE???

kikoman
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 01:48 AM
I have 3 Discus on my tank that are bestest friends now (finally)... but the other one is acting strange when it comes with feeding...?

He will protect the clay pot where the liveworms at? so the other 2 cannot go there! he will just guard it and peck on the worms then spit it out of the claypot! and he will chase the other 2 like as if they were a thieves trying to steal his food?

but he's not eating any worms! the 2 eats it in the gravel where my discus spit the worms?

what do u think is wrong w/ him!? :?:

sammigold
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 01:58 AM
I dont think anything is wrong with him...just settling.

I would say to not worry just yet.... sometimes when discus are settling into their new home they will do just that take it in, spit it out... I am sure he is probably eating something. Just give him some time... is it just the worms. Is he eating other foods like flakes or pellets?

You have only had him for a short while, it can take discus anywhere up to 3 weeks or more to settle into there new surroundings.

dont panic... just keep observing, if his/her colour is good, and she/he is not hiding and looks happy in every other way, I would not worry yet.

kikoman
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 02:07 AM
yea... thats the only thing he eats? the liveworms

and yea... his colours is brilliant with black stripes! and sometimes he turns dark brown at night...

he is not hiding or anything he likes to swim w/ the other 2 discus! I had him like for a week now! and I just change the water this morning! (50% wc)

sammigold
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 02:55 AM
Have you tried feeding him anything else.... what did the aquarium where you bought him tell you about his feeding habits.

You should really try feeding them a varied diet inc. flake and/or pellets such as tetra bits or such. Live worms only will not really provide your discus with all the nutrients they require.

I am sure he is still settling so I would not worry too much yet. I had a new one that didnt eat properly for two weeks when I first got her and now she is the first one to the food.

nicholas76
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 04:19 AM
Live worms = likelyhood of disease

get them on tetra bit or some other quality pellet food.

research and make your own beef heart mix too.!

kikoman
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 05:05 AM
oh yea... coz' he wouldn't eat anything but liveworms!
and another question my pigeon blood has a white spots on its tail
do u know what it is?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y105/Bluec_8/Photo-0412.jpg[/url]

kikoman
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 05:05 AM
heres the picture
sorry for the quality

sammigold
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 05:14 AM
could be fatty deposits... from too much protein in the food which would make sense if you are only feeding live worms...

you really need to vary the diet... try a feeding regime like this..(just an example)

morning -- a small amount of flake (only as much as can be eaten within two minutes)

lunch- maybe half a cube of beef heart or discus dinner

afternoon - worms or frozen brine (try alternating on different days)

evening - tetra bits or similar type discus pellet.

and maybe another feed of flake in there somewhere.

feeding small amounts more often is best... don't overfeed... just offer heaps of variety..

keep the water conditions at optimum levels and those little dots should disappear over a week or so.

If you see little white dots on the body (really tiny like dust) you could have ich in the tank but I dont think this is what that is.. ich is contagious and will show on your other fish too... HTH

kikoman
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 05:22 AM
If you see little white dots on the body (really tiny like dust) you could have ich in the tank but I dont think this is what that is.. ich is contagious and will show on your other fish too... HTH

huhu omg... i saw one little like wart like on my cobalt discus on its body? its so small u have to look so close to it!?
what should I do?

nicholas76
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 07:06 AM
dont panic!

itch or white spot looks like dandruff

if your tank temp is on 29-30 then thats a good start.

again dont stress ! ensure your feeding your fish a variety of foods,, brime shrimp,, beef heart, tetra bit. It would suck eating corn flakes day in day out wouldnt it!

biggest problem with new hobbysits is that they start looking for problems when they really dont exist. dont fall into that trap.

Whilts your there how about we run through your water parameters!

sammigold
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 08:05 AM
sorry Kikoman, I didnt mean to make you panic. Like Nicholas said, Ich is like dandruff... there will be more than one dot... there would be many.

I am with Nick on this one... dont panic... and dont start seeing things that arent there. Most problems can be avoided with a good diet and good water parameters.

cheers

kikoman
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 04:04 PM
thank you so much...

kikoman
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 04:05 PM
thank you so much...