PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone Tell me What Kind of discus I have?

kikoman
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 09:16 PM
I have this discus but i don't know what their kind is?
I took this pictures from my celphone so its not that good of a quality!
Thank you!

fish_r
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 09:22 PM
first ome looks like a blue diamond, second one is a cobalt and 3rd one is a very peppered pigeon blood :P

kikoman
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 09:33 PM
3rd one is a very peppered pigeon blood :P

sorry i'm really new to this discus mania? and I got love at first sight when i saw this jewels in one of my favorite lfs....
what do u mean by peppered?

nicholas76
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 11:24 PM
peppered as in see all those fine black dots and marking?

the less the better. thats purely a show preference thing though it generally has nothing to do with the health of the fish.

Its a good way to learn as you progress through better fish as your skills develop.

kikoman
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 11:35 PM
peppered as in see all those fine black dots and marking?

the less the better. thats purely a show preference thing though it generally has nothing to do with the health of the fish.

Its a good way to learn as you progress through better fish as your skills develop.

does that black freckles like or what u called "pepper" go away?

nicholas76
Mon Sep 17, 2007, 11:42 PM
certain conditions can assist in hiding or preventing further development.

But in general No, genetics and environment conditions play major roles with this.

your fish well and truly has it developed! dont stress though, enjoy it grow it up and see how it goes. Feed them up and do your water changes.

kikoman
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 12:30 AM
yea... I did it this morning the water changing thing! I change 50% of the water.

But you know what every early morning (i mean really early)... the one w/ the freckles? it has no black thing on him? he is just pure yellow orange? what does that mean?

nicholas76
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 12:33 AM
enviroment conditions !

changes in water ph, temp, night , day etc etc ,,

kikoman
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 12:37 AM
ohh okay thank you!

sammigold
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 12:40 AM
they also say that choice substrate, ie. gravel or no gravel, and planted or non planted can make a difference to peppering. (I dont know if that is true, just something I have heard around the traps)

sammigold
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 12:41 AM
I meant choice "of" substrate..... (oh, and I have no idea who "they" are, if anyone asks. lol :-) )

nicholas76
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 12:43 AM
hehe no your correct sammi!

you can also put it in bare bottom tank, Nuke the fish with bright lights that will dim the peppering after time. LOL

sammigold
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 12:54 AM
Maybe, but when I nuke my fish, I like a bit of pepper on them!!!! Bwaahhhhaaaahaahahahaaaaa

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 02:40 AM
I like a bit of peppering too.

Gives them character.

fish_r
Tue Sep 18, 2007, 08:25 AM
they also say that choice substrate, ie. gravel or no gravel, and planted or non planted can make a difference to peppering. (I dont know if that is true, just something I have heard around the traps)

true it is :wink: i had a golden crystal and a white diamond i used to have in my tank with black substrate and they showed a fair bit of peppering, i sold them and the owner has them in a bare bottom tank and now they show hardly any peppering :wink: